First year for FACTORY installed Farmall power steering

mike1972chev

I feel like I should already know this,but with what series and year did power steering come FACTORY installed from the Farmall Works???

Were all of the power steering units installed on the letter series Farmalls after market??? (I know of the Behlen and Charlyn units)

Were some even maybe dealership installed perhaps ????

(BTW,I am getting mixed answers on all of the other sights,but always trust a certain group' on here for the best answers.. ;) )

factory power steering came out in the model 400 tractors in mid 50's. any thing before was not factory.

Well I can show u 2 400s right in my yard with factory power steering. W400s to be exact.!

At the beginning of the 400 production?? Or sometime during which would mean some with, some without?

Was all the 100 series involved? As in 300, etc.? I drove a 300 one time. Been along time ago. But I don't recall that it had power steering. But heck, maybe it was a factory option for all I know.

Just curious of other details not said so far.

Factory Power steering would have came in 2 ways one as factory standard like in the 06 series since they went to full hydraulic steering on them. The earlier ones would have had it probably as an option by factory from probably the late super models or maybe the 100 series like the 300or so. We had a 300 for a very short time that did not have power steering and needed it to use for more detailed work than driving around the field. IT got traded with a WC that had a loader for the 574 with loader in the 70's

I believe it would be around '53, on the Super 9's, maybe same time or later for the 6's using a cylinder on the drag link as an option.

First factory installed on I-300 serial 27391, F-300, 26997, F-400 33504 and don't know serial for first W-400. Tractors were still built with both types of steering and power steering attachments could be added to lower serial tractors. First letter series I know of for regular IH attachments for was 1954 for w series. Think some dealers added systems using some IH and aftermarket parts and all aftermarket parts also.

This post was edited by D Slater on 09/09/2023 at 07:28 am.

I was at the Rollag Minnesota show. about 15 years ago, when they featured the IHC brand, there was a SMTA there from Minn.It said the name of the family that bought it new, still owned it.and it had factory power steering,and it sure looked like it was authentic,that's all i now about it !!!

that is correct, not every 400 had p.s. was more like an option thing.i have seen more without it than with p.s.

D Slater,
I have an I-300 Utility (16317) and a F-400 (4569) with the factory Behlen power steering. I thought they came with factory
power steering when built, but based on your list of serial numbers, the power steering must have been added after they were
built. Seems like on the I-300 it required a lot of parts to add the Behlen power steering. My dad bought both of these used
when they were about 5 years old. Al

Never know for sure on iH things. Had a three digit serial F-400 with factory type power steering also. Even had the power steering emblem under the steering wheel nut. besides having a bulletin that IH stated the first factory installed serial number. Don't think they were offered from factory before B injection pumps were used a F-400 diesel. Because the attachments said if installing on A pump tractor the intake pipe needed the vent filter opening brazed in pipe. Intake pipes used with factory power steering on diesels needed a bigger curve to clear under hood unit. Also F-400 parts manual dated middle of 55 doesn't list the power steering.

Keep in mind that Harvester typically had field installation packages for adding virtually any optional equipment to tractors that were built without it. In many cases, the package or a version of the package included any parts needed to install on earlier tractors.

There may have been such a package for adding power steering to a 400. If one of these packages was installed on an early 400, it would be indistinguishable from one that was installed at the factory. Again, I don't know that there was a field installed power steering package. But it could explain why an early tractor has power steering.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back