Fish in Creek

cleddy

Has anyone ever stocked their farm creek with decent catchable fish? Beaver have it backed up to a fairly large creek now. As a kid we used to fish bull head & sunfish 60 years ago. Havent tried since then. Cleddy

Has anyone ever stocked their farm creek with decent catchable fish? Beaver have it backed up to a fairly large creek now. As a kid we used to fish bull head & sunfish 60 years ago. Havent tried since then. Cleddy
Is it clean cold fresh running water? Why muck with garbage fish? Go for trout if cold running water and perch and walleye if deeper water. Steelhead too.

Tim Daley (MI)

You and me go fishin' in the dark... Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Not sure where you are but this is my experience with “cricks” In the area around the farm I grew up on in NE KS, if you drove drove 3 miles and did not cross a creek you were definitely on the “high ground” of the area. In the rear of the area most creeks would maintain water holes, but during drier times there would be a small trickle stream between water holes. In the drier and hotter months July and August many would have no flow and a lot of the smaller water holes would dry up. However, during the common 1 - 4” thunderstorms that would roll across the area most would turn into a raging torrent for a half day or more. It would be during that time that any fish you stocked would end up in one of the nearby rivers heading for the reservoir 60 miles downstream.
Farm ponds were very common in the area. I believe for a time that if you met the criteria of the Soil Conservation District in the area you would be subsidized for a part of the earth work required to built a pond. Of course the main advantage to these for the farmer was the water supply for livestock during summer pasturing. These were usually stocked with catfish, bullheads, bluegill and bass.

If this creek or even a ditch is emptying into public waters, do not be blabbing anyone what you are wanting to do or end up doing.

Not sure where you are but this is my experience with “cricks” In the area around the farm I grew up on in NE KS, if you drove drove 3 miles and did not cross a creek you were definitely on the “high ground” of the area. In the rear of the area most creeks would maintain water holes, but during drier times there would be a small trickle stream between water holes. In the drier and hotter months July and August many would have no flow and a lot of the smaller water holes would dry up. However, during the common 1 - 4” thunderstorms that would roll across the area most would turn into a raging torrent for a half day or more. It would be during that time that any fish you stocked would end up in one of the nearby rivers heading for the reservoir 60 miles downstream.
Farm ponds were very common in the area. I believe for a time that if you met the criteria of the Soil Conservation District in the area you would be subsidized for a part of the earth work required to built a pond. Of course the main advantage to these for the farmer was the water supply for livestock during summer pasturing. These were usually stocked with catfish, bullheads, bluegill and bass.
I am in eastern Nebraska so know what you are saying. My creek is spring fed and probably starts no more than 2 miles away and feed into Platte river a few miles away. Always has flow even through summer-Flood will clean it out but Rocky bottom stays about the same. Just gets wider. Most of the ponds around this area are dried up all the time.

Attachments

• 95810717_10222203766021281_878071708223799296_n.jpg
    95810717_10222203766021281_878071708223799296_n.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 45600082_2557820654235334_8140823403889164288_o.jpg
    45600082_2557820654235334_8140823403889164288_o.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 44
If you were to plant trout upstream of the dam more than likely the water will be too warm for them to survive. If you have Otter around they would appreciate the free food.

More to it than just buying fish and releasing them into a stream.
The water needs tested for the proper levels of PH, Alkalinity/Hardness, Dissolved oxygen, Dissolved gas and Temperature all should be checked before releasing trout for example.

Beaver does not eat fish. But what about racoon, mink, otter, turtles, hawks/eagles etc?

Will fooding be an issue?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back