Introcucing myself

BillWinn

Good afternoon, my name is Bill Winn. I pastor a small church in Mechanicsville, VA and I recently purchased my first JD.

I grew up on a small farm down east in North Carolina and on one side of our family everyone swore they bled JD Green and the other side bled any color but!

We had an oliver super 55, and an 8N but never a John Deere.

Other parts of our family were Ford and IH devotees.

I have a great amount of dirt to move at my house as we are remodelling, re-landscaping, and building a 30x40 workshop. I talked to a couple of dirtmen and the cost to have all the dirt placed (after I bought the dirt) was only $1000 less than I paid for my tractor. I figure after I am done I will have essentially purchased a tractor for $1K.

I bought a 1520 gas that's in decent shape. It has a 146 loader on it. I think it's a little big for that swept back axle in my opinion but I can make it do what I need.

When I am done with my project I will either keep it, sell it, or just move it to Warren County NC where the John Deere lovers in my family live.

There are a few parts I would like to find but nothing major so that's how I found this forum. It is also during my parts search that I have come to realize I find myself in an abusive-codependent relationship with John Deere. Many have warned me of the "Green Tax" and I see now that they were right. From what I have seen pricing used parts... I am fairly certain that one might well be able to apply JD Green paint to dried excrement and sell it for a premium.

That said, I am 53 years old with a 16 year old heart. My wife and I have been married for 26 years come November. We have two daughters who are in college.

I hunt, fish, play guitar, and blacksmith as hobbies. I dabble at golf but only ever managed to break 80 once so I try to enjoy being outdoors more than trying to post lower scores anymore.

That's a little about me. I'm a mess, like most, and try hard to never throw stones.

Bill

Hello Bill. Welcome to the forum. My name is Bill too. I've had the green fever for 40 years.
Don't know much about the more modern ones since I grew up with the two cylinders. Lot of great
people and knowledge here. Enjoy

(quoted from post at 10:11:04 08/24/23) Hello Bill. Welcome to the forum. My name is Bill too. I've had the green fever for 40 years.
Don't know much about the more modern ones since I grew up with the two cylinders. Lot of great
people and knowledge here. Enjoy

My granddaddy on my dad's side had a '49 M (Johnny Popper he called it.) It was great for pulling stumps and just about anything else as I recall. That one got away from us.

Thanks for the welcome.
Bill

Bill, I hope your experience on here is both pleasant and helpful. I have found much helpful information and
advice on here for many years. I am a mostly JD enthusiast but I have used some other brands and actually
started farming on my own in 1964 just married, with a Oliver 99 and a IH M to work the 800 acre farm that
also included some livestock. Don't hesitate to ask for help; there are plenty of experienced folks on here
that can be helpful.
Welcome.

Nice tractor and loader you got. One thing that I have found out is that it really doesn't matter what color it is any more, all tractor parts are getting over priced. You need to add a 2-cylinder to your collection and then STOP. Get one that someone has already fixed up for a reasonable price. Lots of steals on A,B and H tractors right now. This forum has answered all of my questions on my 3020 and 730 gas tractors.......................

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back