Ultradog MN
Well-known Member
- Location
- Twin Cities
I have never used a flail mower but I see the highway department uses them a lot for roadside mowing. I am familiar with rotary mowers and use a real heavy old 5' Bush Hog to keep the brush and weeds down up at my land. I need a wider mower though and have been thinking about a flail mower as I like how many of them are offset.
How big of stuff will they cut? I don't expect one to whack off 1 1/2" stuff like my rotary will but do they handle heavy, thick hay/weeds as well? Do they need more or less horsepower? Will they do a cleaner job of mowing? How about the cost of replacing chains and knives? How wide of a flail could I run behind a 50 hp tractor?
It does seem like they cost more than a rotary does.
Any thoughts on one would welcome.
How big of stuff will they cut? I don't expect one to whack off 1 1/2" stuff like my rotary will but do they handle heavy, thick hay/weeds as well? Do they need more or less horsepower? Will they do a cleaner job of mowing? How about the cost of replacing chains and knives? How wide of a flail could I run behind a 50 hp tractor?
It does seem like they cost more than a rotary does.
Any thoughts on one would welcome.