Flat belt set up

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
I usualy have little problems lining up a flat belt. This is however something at shows that everyone has a different idea. This leads me to set them up before the show gets a crowd around and all goes well.

I was wondering if there was a web site that gives ideas on what to do if a belt is not straight etc.

One that works good is on a 2 cylinder when you put her on her knees the belt jumps on the power stroke. Alot of the problem can be avoided by twisting the belt inside out on one pulley. This should not be confused with a twisted belt as often is assumed.

There is something to be said about tractors that have good brakes and the flat belt being able to be engaged / disengaged after positioning the tractor on a tight belt.

Anyone got a chart or rule book? Thanks much.
 
I've never heard of a chart or rule book. I always just parked the tractor so when the pulley was engaged on the tractor the belt was centered on both pulleys, whether the belt was twisted for opposite rotation or not.

However, all of our tractors were 4 and 6 cylinder. I never belted a two cylinder to anything.
 
I wish "Nubby" Barrett was still around. He could throw those belts on or off with the motors running. He could tell you about alignment. He just didn't have a lot of fingers left. True story from the fiftys. David.
 
Check the line of sight on the pulley you are hooking to if i could do it when i was 12 to grind feed it aint tha hard to do. Most things had a 1/2 twist to operate the machine. Outside edge of tractor pulley will have to be in line with the machine pulleys outside. The shorter the distance the tighter the belt. Sure helps if the machine is fastened and cant rock or shift.Those GREEN ones were a little harder.
 
The one good thing about the 2 CYL's is you can watch the belt aligning itself on the driven pulley while it's turning as you back up. When we used to belt the A to the hammermill we got so we could 'read' the belt pretty good that way. I used to reach down with my right leg and hold my shoe against the outside of the tractor pulley to keep the belt on when the belt was still loose and not turning yet. I know, It's not OSHA approved. Jim
 
I know I seen a article in a farm magazine thirty years ago I would guess.

Another trick we use is on a pulley that is completly flat you can wrap duck tape in the center to give it a crown, it keeps the belt centered also.

I have seen alot expert drivers with gray wiskers ding the front of a tractor with a belt, and a few front tires on a wide front end cut up pretty good by a expert. It seems a shame unless the guy is a know it all, then it seems to draw grins from on lookers.

A Green one often is hard to get out of reverse if you are getting the belt real tight. Often you can bounce the clutch enough to get it out of gear, or push backwards on the right rear tire.

We have a little more troubles on the big rock crusher, the smaller ones you do not need to tighten the belt so much.

Anyway, thanks everyone for now, and if you ever run across a chart I would be very interested.
 
To get the two cylinder out of gear after lining up the belt keep the clutch disengaged and just grab the belt and pull on it a little and 'ol Johnny will come right out of gear.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top