flat tire today

larry@stinescorner

Well-known Member
Look how rusty and crusty the spare was,,it was hanging under the pickup for many years
mvphoto50789.jpg
it got me to the farm,,so I could plug the tire,,and it held ,I got home!

mvphoto50790.jpg
 
you are lucky you got the spare down. a lot of times the winch rusts up solid and you cant drop the spare! i carry a tire plug set in my truck and a
12 v air compressor. comes in handy.
 
WOW after seeing that "spare" I think it might be time to go do a little
junkyarding. That would have my knees knocking.
 
When I first got this truck the hoist was siezed and I had to cut the cable and cut the hoist off. The auto wrecker got me a good hoist and every year I crank the spare down, spray grease on the cable and into the works , all works smoothly. While on this subject , most spare tires have lost air or are flat , air up your spare when you check your tires , make sure you hang it on the hoist with the valve stem down.
 
I agree it's lucky you got the spare out in the first place. Often it doesn't matter what shape the spare is in since you can't get to it anyway. My 99 F250 is one of the most rust-prone vehicles known to man. Fortunately when I did a "dry run" with the spare, it actually raised and lowered. Really surprised.
 
Larry,

I have a 2005 Ford Ranger. I recently had the first flat tire ever on this truck. I dropped the spare and it looks exactly like the one you pictured. The tire was
still holding enough air to hold the truck up long enough for me to get home and inflate it properly.

I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with my spare tire situation, but I know for sure that I'm not going to put back under the truck.

Tom in TN
 
Just a note of caution about your spare tires (not the one in your bib overalls) and us getting near the end of the salt season - check them. My bil was
hammering something on the rear of his 2001 Dodge and the spare fell off. The cable holding it up to the body had rusted through right where the flat
bar that goes through the center hole is attached.
 
Got a 98 Ranger, the spare looked like that. This was in 2018.

But when I broke the tire down off the wheel...it was hard as a rock..and took a wire brush to the rim, decided it wasn't as bad as it looked.

Removed the rust as best I could, treated the rim with phosphoric acid, painted with rustoleum, mounted a different tire, and back under the truck.

Fred
 
A year ago, I tried to get the spare out from under my 2000 Chevy. Got the spare out, but it was about as rusty as that one. Put it in the box.

Last fall, I was having a mower deck sandblasted so I had the guy do the spare wheel, too. I painted it up nice and put it upright in the left front corner of the box.
 
If you don't want your pickup's spare wheel to get rusty, buy a BIG can of STEEL-IT stainless steel spray
paint and give both sides a good heavy coat. It's not cheap, but it's REALLY REALLY good. You'll forget
about the high price when you see your frost-free spare wheel in ten years. You should sand blast all
the rust off before painting.
 
I had a similar deal. Had the truck into my local mechanic (good guys)for a service and oil change. Asked them to check the spare. They phoned me and said it was OK, but the rim was rusted as were the mounting system parts. I went and picked up the rim (sans tire) sand blasted and painted it. I had the 'boys' thoroughly clean and lube the operating system for the spare. Whole program cost a little over $100 - worth it in my mind.
 
(quoted from post at 10:24:43 03/14/20) Just a note of caution about your spare tires (not the one in your bib overalls) and us getting near the end of the salt season - check them. My bil was
hammering something on the rear of his 2001 Dodge and the spare fell off. The cable holding it up to the body had rusted through right where the flat
bar that goes through the center hole is attached.
That happened to me one time also. Pulled into the house and got out and looked out in the county road and there layed a spare. We thought that was odd until I looked under my truck and realized it was mine!!!!
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top