flywheel cracks?

TimWafer

Member
I cleaned up and sandblasted the flywheel tonight and was going to put on a new ring gear. After getting it cleaned up I noticed all these little stress cracks in it. Some might come out but I don’t think they can all be removed by resurfacing. Does this mean I’m now looking for a new flywheel too?
What caused these? Excess heat from slippage?
Opinions appreciated!
Tim
flywheel2.jpg
 
Get it turned. A good stone will clean that right up.

Almost all used flywheels look like that when ya pull 'em down. Stress cracks are caused by heat/pressure.

Allan
 
Wel it was working wasn't it????? Well the old saying if it isn't broke don't fix it comes to mind. So it it has been working off I would run it till it really go bad. Common on a lot of tractors but it does help to tell use what your working on
 
Thanks guys! This is good news; I didn’t really want to have to look for a new one. I'll have well over a grand in the engine before I’m done now! I guess I forgot to mention it’s off my H. I’m still waiting to get the crank & head back from the machine shop. Supposedly gonna be done this week so when I pick those up Ill drop off the flywheel. I need to update my web page with what little progress I’ve made lately. Mostly just cleaning, sandblasting and priming lots of parts. Anything that will fit into the cabinet. The bigger parts have to wait for warmer weather so I can sandblast outside. I do have the block done so can begin assembly of the engine as soon as I get the parts back from the machine shop.
Tim
parts2.jpg

Farmall H Project
 
Hello Tim Wafer.
The flywheel needs to be machined. If the are only surface cracked then it will come out good as new.
Before the shop grinds it they will tell you if all of the cracks will come out.
Any cracks extending on the inside toward the pilot bearing would make it unuseable.
The machine shop should be able to tell you, If the machine shop does not give you a straight answer you need to look for anothe one.
The rest of the work looks very good, don't skimp on the flywheel.
Guido.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top