Flywheel install

How do I make sure the flywheel is not 180 out when I reinstall it on my 8N, Like a dummy I did not mark it when I took it off. Thanks. JOE
 

Hi Joe,

The manual just says to make sure that the runout of the flywheel is to be less than 0.005" if it is more than that rotate it 180 degrees if it is still more than 0.005" reface it. I alway reface to get rid of the glaze under the clutch.

== Mark
 
If it is a "front mount" distributor motor, there's NO timing marks, so it doesn't matter.

If it's a "side-mount" distributor motor, there's 2 separate timing marks 180º apart, so it doesn't matter.
 
Bob is correct. Clean up both sets of marks and put white paint on zero degree marks so when you go to time engine marks are easy to see.
 
I may be way way off base here, but as I recall, when I worked on my 8N side mount, the flywheel would only go on one way. If I remember correctly there was a dowel locater and/or the hole spacing was off set, so that it would only go on one way, but as I said I may be way off base here. Sometimes I don't remember too well; and other times I don't remember at all. LOL
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top