? For Dieseltech

Bobl1958

Just curious, and I know this is somewhat of a loaded question, but I have an AC 7000 that had sat for a few years without running. When we went to start it, and I had a young AC mechanic with me, the metering valve on the pump was stuck and it wouldn't start. The mech found the issue, unstuck it, and we got the tractor started.

After running for a bit, draining and refilling the fuel, and changing oil and all filters, I am wanting to use it. The problem it has is it won't start without a sniff of ether. Doesn't take but one quick spray, and it starts right up. If you don't use ether, it will smoke, but won't start. Possibly if I cranked long enough, but I don't want to do that. Once running, it cleans right up and runs great.

My question is a pretty fair mechanic told me the head of the pump needs attention. Does this sound correct and can that be done without taking the whole pump off and spending the extra money? The tractor really runs good, once started. I pulled a 12' rotary mower on a pretty hot day and the tractor ran very good. I believe the tractor will start right up once the initial startup is done. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance for your advice - Bob

cvphoto97707.jpg

Smoke means engine is getting fuel so pump/injectors are working. A SEVERELY worn hydraulic head shows up when engine will not start when engine/pump are HOT. I've never seen any AC 7000 series start good when cold, both the 7000 and 7040 I had needed ether or the intake heater during cold starting. My 7000 had both, but I only used the heater. The 7040 had ether only, and both tractors ran fine once warmed up. If engine starts fine after a hot shut down of 5-10 minutes, the injection pump hydraulic head is OK.

My buddies 7050 wouldn't start, acting like it wasn't getting enough fuel. Found that the low pressure pump was getting weak, installed an electric pump, in series, has started easily ever since, after three years. Also makes it easy to bleed after servicing the filters. So I did the same thing to his TW30 Ford.

my neighbor has a 7040 and a 7060. when cold they just need a whiff of ether. one running they will start easily all day long.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back