For: NOXJohn & others..Engine temp. Gauge readings..

GB in MT.

[b:be20df4f6d][i:be20df4f6d]John;
You ask..."Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:44 am Post subject: Re: Hermie the 2N...up and running....AGAIN!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gary, what temperature thermostat do you have in the engine and what does the temperature gage read after running for an hours or so and at what ambient temperature? If you have not run it long enough to answer these questions please try to keep track of your readings. I have a temperature gage on my 1949 8N and can't get a reading above 160 degrees in the winter when below 30 degrees without blocking off part of the radiator. In the summer after cutting grass for several hour in 80-90 degree weather the gage reads about 190 degrees. It would be nice to know if your reading are similar."......end quote

Sept. 2011, vrs. Dec. 2011...summer, vrs winter !!!
Nothing much has changed from what I told you then.(Just after installing the gauge)
Summer amb. temps varied, at start of checking engine temps....
Takes about 10-15mins, to get engine up to running temp, stays pretty much around 180-185 at idle, and can see the thermo. open and close at those temps.!!! Running under blade load, moving dirt and such.....pretty much the same @ 185-195....depending on how hard I worked the engine.!! (Had a hell of a time figureing out where the rad. coolant level should be.....(aftermarket 8N rad.) Just kept letting it overflow until it stopped doing that.....NO problems, once it set itself, for level!!! AND temp gauge stayed at normal readings.

Winter temps are almost Identical, except when not running under a load of snow, in the backblade.!!! If I work the engine really hard, pulling wet/heavy snow the max temp showing is around 198-200 deg. engine temp., then when thermo. opens fully, it goes back down to about 185deg.
Never overflows rad., and still gives good solid readings, at winter temps.....about 15-25 deg. F. ambient!!!

BTW:.....still running 180 deg. thermostate, and 6 blade pulling fan!!!

A pic. of the temp gauge, installed. Paste this into yer computer, so you can blow up the pic., to read what the gauge temps are on it's face.:
Guage4.jpg

Don't really understand the need for you to use cardboard, on the frt., unless yer thermo. is staying open a little at times???
Hope this helps ya. YOU ask....I answer!!!! :wink:

Gary :) [/i:be20df4f6d][/b:be20df4f6d]

(quoted from post at 22:55:29 12/14/11) [b:3637596cfc][i:3637596cfc]John;
You ask..."Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:44 am Post subject: Re: Hermie the 2N...up and running....AGAIN!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gary, what temperature thermostat do you have in the engine and what does the temperature gage read after running for an hours or so and at what ambient temperature? If you have not run it long enough to answer these questions please try to keep track of your readings. I have a temperature gage on my 1949 8N and can't get a reading above 160 degrees in the winter when below 30 degrees without blocking off part of the radiator. In the summer after cutting grass for several hour in 80-90 degree weather the gage reads about 190 degrees. It would be nice to know if your reading are similar."......end quote

Sept. 2011, vrs. Dec. 2011...summer, vrs winter !!!
Nothing much has changed from what I told you then.(Just after installing the gauge)
Summer amb. temps varied, at start of checking engine temps....
Takes about 10-15mins, to get engine up to running temp, stays pretty much around 180-185 at idle, and can see the thermo. open and close at those temps.!!! Running under blade load, moving dirt and such.....pretty much the same @ 185-195....depending on how hard I worked the engine.!! (Had a hell of a time figureing out where the rad. coolant level should be.....(aftermarket 8N rad.) Just kept letting it overflow until it stopped doing that.....NO problems, once it set itself, for level!!! AND temp gauge stayed at normal readings.

Winter temps are almost Identical, except when not running under a load of snow, in the backblade.!!! If I work the engine really hard, pulling wet/heavy snow the max temp showing is around 198-200 deg. engine temp., then when thermo. opens fully, it goes back down to about 185deg.
Never overflows rad., and still gives good solid readings, at winter temps.....about 15-25 deg. F. ambient!!!

BTW:.....still running 180 deg. thermostate, and 6 blade pulling fan!!!

A pic. of the temp gauge, installed. Paste this into yer computer, so you can blow up the pic., to read what the gauge temps are on it's face.:
Guage4.jpg

Don't really understand the need for you to use cardboard, on the frt., unless yer thermo. is staying open a little at times???
Hope this helps ya. YOU ask....I answer!!!! :wink:

Gary :) [/i:3637596cfc][/b:3637596cfc]

Gary, My first car was a 1949 Ford V8 2 door sedan. I had to use the cardboard in real cold weather to get any heat for defrosting and heating! I seem to remember replacing the thermo!
Stay Waarm
Bob

[b:f6d075f7a8][i:f6d075f7a8]
"I had to use the cardboard in real cold weather to get any heat for defrosting and heating! I seem to remember replacing the thermo! "...end quote

Yep...that's the way I got it figgerd too!!! I'm thinkin' his thermostat is doin' funny things.!!! :? Sometimes working, and sometimes not workin'!!!
His "N", should be giving him the same, or close to the same as mine. 160*....vrs....180* thermo. Course', I think he said he was using a 160* thermo., but that should not keep him from getting higher/lower readings!!! :roll:
Gotta be the thermostat!!! JMHO!!!

Gary :)

[/i:f6d075f7a8][/b:f6d075f7a8]

Thanks Gary. I got my Dear John note. Sounds like I should replace my thermostat. Where did you get the 180 degree thermostat?

(quoted from post at 16:06:23 12/14/11) Thanks Gary. I got my Dear John note. Sounds like I should replace my thermostat. Where did you get the 180 degree thermostat?
b:5a24b27525][i:5a24b27525]
John;
I use the 180* thermo. from A&I, but they are a wholesale buis......so, you have to find a parts place that deals with them.
Also used to get parts from,....Helms Tractor parts, on Ebay, and they had them also.
Might try nnalert's, they might have them!!!
180degthermostat.jpg

Remember, when ya go to install the 180* thermo., the spring and pellet go toward the engine.....flat front, toward the radiator!!!

Gary :) [/i:5a24b27525][/b:5a24b27525]

I found one on Ebay that the seller says is 180 degree for an 8N but it is an A&I B2NN8575A. Any idea how this one differs from yours? Do you know what else the one you purchased will fit?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back