Ford 2000 stalls after running

CMRine_008

New User
Brief overview of whats going on:

My grandfather has an early 70s (not exactly sure on the year) Ford 2000 3-cyl gas engine. It recently had a new starter solenoid on it, cleaned carb, new coolant, new power steering pump, and new hydraulic pump on it. We had it out bush hogging today and it would run good for about 15-20 minutes, then just die on us. It wasnt sputtering, backfiring, etc, it just would shut down like you turned the key off.

If we left it sit for 20-30 minutes, it would start up just fine mostly (maybe needed to pull the choke out to get it running then put it back off) , run for another 15-20, then just shut back down again. I traced all the points from the ignition switch to the solenoid and its got power but the ignition switch is very, very worn.

You can hot wire it around the switch to eliminate the switch but be careful and don't run over yourself or someone else. It could also be a fuel
flow problem.

Sounds like the coil is on its way out. They usually exhibit problems first when they are hot, and then work again after they cool down, but over time the problem happens sooner and sooner during the warm-up period until they won't provide enough spark to start the engine even when cold.

I had talked to my friend who knows more about these than I do. He also suggested keeping an eye on the coil. Shes been running just fine to do, lotta bush hoggin, and we just pulled two trees down with it. Shes been sitting for a while too (doesnt get much use now that my grandpa is almost 80) so she may have just needed to warm up and get some pep back into her step.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back