Ford 3000 draft control

Josh M.

Just rebuilt the hydraulic pump and top cover on a 1965 ford 3000. When nothing is hooked to the 3 point it lifts fine, but when I put the brush hog on itll lift a few inches and quit. If I lift the back of the brush hog a little bit by hand itll lift the rest of the way. My question is how do I stop that draft control from limiting the 3 point. I have the draft control lever under the seat in the up position, and when its down it limits it to an even lower height.

two questions. did you properly screw the draft spring turnbuckle, to take out all of the slack? and is your cam pin worn down and or adjusted correctly?

I didnt adjust that spring, and that draft control arm is pretty loose, Ill adjust that. And where is that cam pin located? Is it on that lever that switches from draft to position control?

Think you need to get a manual and go by the hydraulic lift setting procedure. It is pretty straight forward if you follow it by the book. You do not need all the special tools as the measurements are all there. A worn cam follower pin will throw everything out and give you lots of weird problems.

cvphoto165059.jpg

Not quite the same as the 3000 but it will give you an idea where to look.

Luckily adjusting the turnbuckle fixed the problem, I appreciate all the help though. Luckily we havent had any issues with any of our 3 points on our fords, did this job for a guy to learn how the 3 point and draft control system works. Do you know if the i&t manuals are any good? Or should I look for original manuals for our tractors?

If you are an average 'wrench' you will find the I&T FO-31 manual entirely adequate.
It does have a pretty good section on adjusting the draft and position control linkages - without the special tool which is NLA - by measuring things up.
I have a couple of the ginormous Ford manuals here that I'm thinking of selling as I'm scaling down and almost never refer to them.

What models do your manuals cover? We have a 26 and 3600, 66 4200, 75 5000, 7600, 8000, tw-25 series 1, tw-35 series 2, and an 8730. Eventually Id like to have some sort of manual for all of them, I know a lot of the i&ts cover more than one model, and would probably work as Im learning more about how these tractors work and taking on bigger jobs. Im only 20, but Im a full time mechanic and work on the family farm so Ill learn a lot these next few years Im sure.

Ford Service Manuals were not generally for a specific model. They were for a range of series of tractors that were made at the same time. I have one in a PDF that is for the 1965-1975 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 and 7000 series tractors.The Service Manuals for the Industrial models generally covered fewer models, but even those covered at least 2, 3 or 4 models.

The 4200 and 5000 would be covered by the manual I have. The 8000 was in a manual that covered the 8000, 9000, 8600 and 9600. The 2600, 3600, and 7600 should all be covered by one manual. I'm not sure about those TW models and the 8730.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back