Ford 3000 running rough

3nails4life

New User
I have a Ford 3000 diesel. I just got it back running after almost a year. It will idle fine for 10-15 minutes and then bog down to almost shutting off and then idle fine again. It did this 3 or 4 times and then shut off. I replaced fuel filter and added some HEET to the tank. It started back up and seemed to be fine. I drove it down the road and it would start stalling out and I tried to bush hog with it to make sure the mechanical temperature gauge I had installed was working and it would do the same thing. Stalling and then running fine. Any help would be appreciated.
 
Fuel restriction somewhere. Running out of fuel when it needs it. Remove the fuel line from the shut off valve in the bottom of your tank. Then remove the valve. Catch the fuel or have someone hold a clean rag up into the hole with their finger while you inspect the valve. Should be a filter on the part of the valve that goes up into the tank. If it is clogged or even missing the valve will not let enough fuel through to supply the pump and injectors. If you find dirt here then, you have found the problem. Drain the rest of the fuel then, flush the tank until clean and replace the dirty parts. Put in fresh fuel and make sure you get all the air bled out of the system. Open bleeder on top of filter and close when the fuel pushes all the air bubbles out. Open the small bleeder on the side of the pump and spin the engine over until you get fuel squirting from the bleeder. Close it and swing the battery tray out for access to the injectors. Then. take a 5/8 open end wrench and loosen all 3 injector lines. Just loose do not remove. Do this with the kill cable in the run position. Spin the engine until you see fuel at all 3 of the injectors. Tighten the lines and your engine should now start and run well. I would also before reattaching the fuel line to the shut off at the bottom of the tank also remove the other end from the filter housing and blow it out with air pressure. Could be dirt in it also.
 
Thanks I tried all of that and changed the fuel filter twice. Also replaced rubber fuel lines. Could it be getting air somehow. And could I use starting fluid to see if that might be it.
 
If it's a Simms injector pump some of those there's a small round cap with a nut holding it on top of the pump. Under it there's a steel mesh filter that gets dirty and clogged up. Take it out and clean it good. I've had those make it seem like it wasn't getting fuel but in fact it wasn't getting enough air.
 
You would not have a picture of where it is at do you. Do not want to take something off that I will not be able to put back together
 
No I don't. It looks like a small breather cap round about 3" and a nut holding it on top. All of the pumps don't have them. If you know what the breather cap on a Jubilee or 600 where you put the oil in it looks like a smaller one of those.
 
Here is a picture of it.
 

Attachments

  • 88E12C27-96F5-4F96-A72F-49B0C1BDE7B8.jpeg
    88E12C27-96F5-4F96-A72F-49B0C1BDE7B8.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 113
No I don't. It looks like a small breather cap round about 3" and a nut holding it on top. All of the pumps don't have them. If you know what the breather cap on a Jubilee or 600 where you put the oil in it looks like a smaller one of those.
 

Attachments

  • 49891BD4-C8F2-4509-BE89-281F80D0D74E.png
    49891BD4-C8F2-4509-BE89-281F80D0D74E.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 75
It's the little round thing next to the fuel line with the nut on top. Just take it off and get the mesh out and clean it with carb or break cleaner real good. You may have to let it soak. Blow it out with a copressor.
 
I have a Ford 3000 diesel. I just got it back running after almost a year. It will idle fine for 10-15 minutes and then bog down to almost shutting off and then idle fine again. It did this 3 or 4 times and then shut off. I replaced fuel filter and added some HEET to the tank. It started back up and seemed to be fine. I drove it down the road and it would start stalling out and I tried to bush hog with it to make sure the mechanical temperature gauge I had installed was working and it would do the same thing. Stalling and then running fine. Any help would be appreciated.
Test your injectors. You can buy tester for about 90 from Amazon
 
As ErnieD said there should be a screen in the tank on top of the fuel shutoff. Need to drain the tank to remove it and clean/replace it.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top