Ford 335 oil in the coolant.

Guys what all on these engines could cause oil in the coolant? I thought it was a blown head gasket but now I m not so sure. Is there any other place it could get in on that motor?

It's possible that one of the cylinder walls has a pin hole that could allow oil to get into the coolant, but those early 3 cylinders weren't too prone to cavitation, but if it has a lot of hours and was run with improper coolant for too much of those hours, then it is a possibility. Depending on which transmission it has, it might have a transmission oil cooler built into the radiator and it might be leaking between the oil cooling core and the main radiator core.

(quoted from post at 17:09:25 09/14/23) It's possible that one of the cylinder walls has a pin hole that could allow oil to get into the coolant, but those early 3 cylinders weren't too prone to cavitation, but if it has a lot of hours and was run with improper coolant for too much of those hours, then it is a possibility. Depending on which transmission it has, it might have a transmission oil cooler built into the radiator and it might be leaking between the oil cooling core and the main radiator core.

Oil is going the wrong way for a cavitation pin hole, but a leaky cooler is right up there at the top of the list.

A number of places were coolant can get in the oil, but very few were oil can get in the coolant
Oil flows out of the block and through a slot in the head gasket before going up to the head
This is in the left front corner of the engine and there is a coolant port next to it
That would be my first place to check if the tractor doesn t have a oil cooler in the radiator

Im going to have to replace the radiator. There is a crack in
it. I will check and see if it has a cooler on it. The
transmission is a manual I believe a 4 speed non shuttle non
automatic.

The 335 model name was used for two different tractors at two different times:

335 - 3 Cyl Utility Tractor (10/75 - 09/78 ) - this one was made at the same time as the 3600, which it shares a lot in common with except for the heavier duty non-adjustable front axle. This one was available with a 6 speed, 8 speed or 6x4 manual reversing transmission.

335 - 3 Cyl Highway Utility Tractor (01/83 - 02/84) - This one was made at the same time as the 3910 and was also called the "3910 Highway" model. This one was only available with a regular 8 speed manual and an 8 speed synchro transmission.

They didn't make a straight 4 speed manual transmission in either of those time periods for any models of tractor that I am aware of, except possibly one or more of the compact models made by Shibaura, as I am not familiar with all of those models and their optional configurations.

Does it have one or two shifters (a tall one and a short one) down on the top cover of the transmission? If there are two shifters, then it is either a 6 speed manual, 8 speed manual or 6x4 manual transmission. The 6 speed has three forward and one reverse gear on the main shifter and high/low ranges on the shorter shifter for a total of 6 forward and 2 reverse gears. The 8 speed has four forward and one reverse gear on the main shifter and high/low ranges on the shorter shifter for a total of 8 forward and 2 reverse gears. The 6x4 manual reverser has three forward gears and two reverse gears on the main shifter and high/low ranges on the shorter shifter for a total of 6 forward and 4 reverse gears.

This post was edited by Sean in PA on 09/15/2023 at 06:27 am.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back