Ford 3600 Instrument Wiring and Dummy lights Help

Luke0927

Hello everyone I would appreciate some input.

Working on a Ford 3600 I got from my grandpa, cluster wasn't working besides tach and battery light.

I ordered a new instrument cluster and pulled the old here is what I found.

Old cluster had the main power wire and fuel sending wire almost completely chewed through; I patched those up.

I have traced down the wire for engine temp (black), there is a green wire that came into the back left of my old panel near the hot wire; it's terminal does not ground to the cluster but possible a ground back for hot coming in (need verify later today)

To my surprise my old cluster had 6 small dummy bulbs as well in the harness but only 4 dummy bulb locations on the cluster (I think two are unused possibly for larger model tractor cluster).

Like I mentioned only a light for battery was working before. You turn the key and get a light and when running light goes out (What I found strange was I can read voltage on that light socket with tractor running, but bulb isn't lit up not sure how its goes on and off from key switch on to tractor running still having voltage running?)

Can anyone confirm from me what the factory dummy lights are? from Left to right on cluster looks like I have battery indictor (I think on when no charge); one is a down arrow (no idea what it is), 3rd has no picture (new clusters is left/right arrow), 4th I think is oil pressure.

I think I'll be fine with my tach, temp gauge and Oil pressure I want to understand where oil pressure is sensed for my learning, but it still had those other lights that I'm not sure what they indicate and while I'm in here I'd like to just fix restore them all if possible.

Appreciate any input and guidance you could give me.

Here is the new cluster
https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/E5NN10849BA_Instrument-Cluster_508.htm?gclid=CjwKCAjwgaeYBhBAEiwAvMgp2kjmWDkNY8-3CngkbWLA-wnC7NpztFCuObFiZ9UA1S1WHvDF1jlQpRoCCDcQAvD_BwE

mvphoto96509.jpg

mvphoto96510.jpg

mvphoto96511.jpg

This post was edited by Luke0927 on 08/27/2022 at 03:43 am.

All ground wires were originally brown.

The battery warning light was originally connected to the "WL" terminal of the voltage regulator on one side and the hot terminal of the battery on the other, so when it is charging, both sides of the bulb are at the same voltage and no current flows. When the key is on but the engine is not running, the "WL" terminal of the VR is the same as ground, so there is a 12 volt difference across the bulb and current flows.

The lights were:

Picture of battery - charge warning light

left-right arrows - turn signal indicator, but that was only stock in some European countries and an option elsewhere, so your tractor may not have that

I think that the down arrow was the air filter restriction warning light on the diesel models

The other one should be the oil pressure warning light.

(quoted from post at 13:09:18 08/27/22) All ground wires were originally brown.

The battery warning light was originally connected to the "WL" terminal of the voltage regulator on one side and the hot terminal of the battery on the other, so when it is charging, both sides of the bulb are at the same voltage and no current flows. When the key is on but the engine is not running, the "WL" terminal of the VR is the same as ground, so there is a 12 volt difference across the bulb and current flows.

The lights were:

Picture of battery - charge warning light

left-right arrows - turn signal indicator, but that was only stock in some European countries and an option elsewhere, so your tractor may not have that

I think that the down arrow was the air filter restriction warning light on the diesel models

The other one should be the oil pressure warning light.

Thank you for details on that charging light. I assume the oil and from reading more looks like the other one is air flow sensor they all work by grounding out or interrupting the current when the sensor detects a fault or if it fails.

(quoted from post at 13:36:50 08/27/22) The two bulbs in the middle are for background illumination, should be fed from the light switch.

Thought that might be case, no headlights working on this thing that's on list.

This post was edited by Luke0927 on 08/27/2022 at 06:19 am.

The schematic provided by nashranch is for the earlier 3 cylinder 2000/3000/4000 series. Note the section at the bottom on the Select-O-Speed dial lamp and pressure warning lamp. The x600 series no longer had the S-O-S transmission as an option, plus they used an alternator with an external VR rather than a generator with an external VR that the earlier thousand series used.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back