Ford 4000 No Spark

DrB250

New User
Hi folks, new here and a question.
I have a 1966 Ford 4000, 3-cyl., gas. I am not getting any spark replaced points, condenser and plugs. Still no go. I am wondering if the coil may be bad and what I would need.

With the ignition on I measure 6V at the one primary terminal. (not the one that goes to the dist.) hen I turn the key to start the voltage goes up to over 10V at the terminal.

I am assuming I have a 6V coil and it is switching up to 12V when the starter is engaged. Am I on the right track here? What coil do I need for this tractor?

The tractor was my dads and sat for a few years but was running. I have it home now.

Thanks for any help you can give. Also have a John Deere B that was my dads. That is for another thread... Dave..
 
That part of system is working correctly. There is a restiance wire from switch to coil and when in crank position the solinod over rides it. dont think coil is bad. I would go back and check points. Put old
condenser back in.
 
(quoted from post at 15:50:29 11/06/20) That part of system is working correctly. There is a restiance wire from switch to coil and when in crank position the solinod over rides it. dont think coil is bad. I would go back and check points. Put old
condenser back in.

Thanks, I'm going to go back and check the points tomorrow. I have an old Sencore capacitor tester I'll drag out to test the condenser. Dave..
 
You should see those voltages when points are closed. With points open you should see battery voltage on both sides of coil. If you are seeing those voltages at all times I would suspect that either the points are not opening or you have something shorted in the points mounting or feed through on side of distributor
 
It sounds like the ignition primary circuit is working correctly.

You mentioned that you replaced the points.

It is VERY common (almost universal) these days that that new, foreign made contact sets are non functional right out of the package.

The (expensive) anti corrosion coatings once applied in applicable thickness to the make/break contacts have been reduced to vanishingly small thickness (or eliminated entirely). Accordingly, many (most,
all?) contact sets have corroded to the point of non functionality long before you bought your set.

There is no reliable solution to this dilemma (other than buying a diesel) but I make due by burnishing the contact surfaces with an IBM card (remember IBM cards?) or a small piece of a brown paper grocery
bag (remember brown paper grocery bags?).

DO NOT use a point file unless you wish to do so every time that you attempt to start your tractor after just about every non use of period of more than a few days. The point file will remove any remnants of
the anti corrosion coating remaining on the contact surfaces allowing even more rapid corrosion.

Myself, I scrounge old engines, etc., for contact sets made 25+ years ago, hoard any usable sets, and have a box full of sets to fit side distributor 8N - very early 65 four cylinder gasoline engines.

Dean
 
(quoted from post at 09:41:33 11/07/20) It sounds like the ignition primary circuit is working correctly.

You mentioned that you replaced the points.

It is VERY common (almost universal) these days that that new, foreign made contact sets are non functional right out of the package.

The (expensive) anti corrosion coatings once applied in applicable thickness to the make/break contacts have been reduced to vanishingly small thickness (or eliminated entirely). Accordingly, many (most,
all?) contact sets have corroded to the point of non functionality long before you bought your set.

There is no reliable solution to this dilemma (other than buying a diesel) but I make due by burnishing the contact surfaces with an IBM card (remember IBM cards?) or a small piece of a brown paper grocery
bag (remember brown paper grocery bags?).

DO NOT use a point file unless you wish to do so every time that you attempt to start your tractor after just about every non use of period of more than a few days. The point file will remove any remnants of
the anti corrosion coating remaining on the contact surfaces allowing even more rapid corrosion.

Myself, I scrounge old engines, etc., for contact sets made 25+ years ago, hoard any usable sets, and have a box full of sets to fit side distributor 8N - very early 65 four cylinder gasoline engines.

Dean

I was thinking the new points may be bad out of the package. Am going to look at them this afternoon. Thanks.. Dave
 
You might consider converting to PERTRONIX electronic ignition...this replaces condenser and points. Install is less than an hour and is a long term no spark solution. I also replaced coil with pertronix.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top