Ford 4000 PTO clutch

Dwilshire

New User
I have a 1964 Ford 4000 LCG with the SOS transmission that has some PTO issues. I took it to the local mechanic and he found some metal shavings in the “sump”. The PTO used to free spin (spin with engine rpm) but would never fully engage. After changing fluids (mechanic) says PTO will not spin at all. You can still spin by hand but it does nothing with engine rpm and pull switch engaged. He says that he thinks it’s the PTO clutch but shouldn’t it still spin even if the clutch is worn? Trying to figure something out before I go spend another ~$1000 on a rear end that isn’t a SOS. Thanks!

I have a 1964 Ford 4000 LCG with the SOS transmission that has some PTO issues. I took it to the local mechanic and he found some metal shavings in the “sump”. The PTO used to free spin (spin with engine rpm) but would never fully engage. After changing fluids (mechanic) says PTO will not spin at all. You can still spin by hand but it does nothing with engine rpm and pull switch engaged. He says that he thinks it’s the PTO clutch but shouldn’t it still spin even if the clutch is worn? Trying to figure something out before I go spend another ~$1000 on a rear end that isn’t a SOS. Thanks!
If the transmission itself drives OK, then yes, the PTO would normally spin with no load. However, your tractor might have the optional 2-speed PTO option. If so, is the selector lever on the lower LH side of the case in neutral (in the middle)? It needs to be one way or the other for the PTO to work.

Upvote 1
My neighbor has a 1965-66 Ford SOS with PTO slipping problems he says. The local Tractor Store told him to run a quart of ATF in the rear end. I guess he did just that and now he reports that fixed his slipping problem.

Upvote 0
My neighbor has a 1965-66 Ford SOS with PTO slipping problems he says. The local Tractor Store told him to run a quart of ATF in the rear end. I guess he did just that and now he reports that fixed his slipping problem.
That is odd, as the PTO clutch and drive assembly in that tractor are completely inside the transmission, so the rear end fluid should have no effect on the PTO.

Upvote 0
That is odd, as the PTO clutch and drive assembly in that tractor are completely inside the transmission, so the rear end fluid should have no effect on the PTO.
If it was a 5000 SOS then the PTO would be in the rear axle. As for the ATF trick, I have extreme doubts about that story. There's not a lot of difference between ATF and tractor hydraulic fluid.

Upvote 0

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back