Ford 4000 Throttle

BobC06

New User
I have a 63 Ford 4000 4cyl gas. When I move the throttle lever to full the rpms increase like its supposed to but as soon as I let go of the throttle lever the rpms drop. I have tried the adjustments I can think of but nothing has corrected the problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
 
Sounds like you are missing the throttle retard spring located to the right and on the bottom of the battery box, and fastens to the throttle bell crank under the air cleaner. You might also might have to tighten the friction disk part of the ball crank with a 11/16 wrench.
 
(quoted from post at 13:40:41 06/05/20) Sounds like you are missing the throttle retard spring located to the right and on the bottom of the battery box, and fastens to the throttle bell crank under the air cleaner. You might also might have to tighten the friction disk part of the ball crank with a 11/16 wrench.
 


You don't say if the throttle lever returns when you let it go, but if it does as Wayne said you need to tighten the friction disc down at the bottom of the throttle lever.
 
(quoted from post at 06:14:27 06/06/20)
(quoted from post at 20:11:32 06/05/20)
(quoted from post at 17:59:57 06/05/20) Friction disk oil-soaked?


The friction disc is plastic so it shouldn't absorb oil.

Incorrect! The friction disk is fiber, and can very well become oil soaked.


Well NCKS that is what I always thought until I got my last one maybe five years ago. I even scraped it a little to check. You could stop by and I will show you.
 
(quoted from post at 11:32:04 06/06/20)

Well that is what I always thought until I got my last one maybe five years ago. I even scraped it a little to check. You could stop by and I will show you.

So! Let me get this straight. You're assuming that since you purchased a new one 5 years ago and are convinced it's plastic; that one that's very likely the original would be too??? I think there are big holes in your logic, showy!
 
(quoted from post at 19:52:13 06/06/20)
(quoted from post at 11:32:04 06/06/20)

Well that is what I always thought until I got my last one maybe five years ago. I even scraped it a little to check. You could stop by and I will show you.

So! Let me get this straight. You're assuming that since you purchased a new one 5 years ago and are convinced it's plastic; that one that's very likely the original would be too??? I think there are big holes in your logic, showy!

No NCKS, you don't have it straight!! You made it into a great big curve, LOL. My observation is that things move along. Advances in materials are made, and even though machines were built with the old original parts, as time and wear go along many old original parts get replaced with updated. From my own experience and from reading this forum I get the impression that even though your old tractors may not need repair or parts, that most old equipment owners are having to maintain their old tractors and replace parts. It has been a lot of years since I replaced the second worn out old fiber disc on my second 4 cyl. gasser. Neither was used much in the ten years prior to my purchasing them, so It appears to me that the liklihood is that more of this WEAR part were replaced than not, and that now it is more likely to be plastic than the original fiber. At least that is the impression I get from friends and from posts here. If a part is NLA in its original form I buy the new upgraded part and keep on using my tractors!
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top