Ford 4100 tractor battery

MarkieMO

New User
Can someone tell me what the voltage should read on the battery when trying to get the tractor started? Mine reads 12.6v, but not sure if thats enough juice.

Thanks

(quoted from post at 12:02:03 04/15/23) Can someone tell me what the voltage should read on the battery when trying to get the tractor started? Mine reads 12.6v, but not sure if thats enough juice.

Thanks

While the No load voltage is something to measure . However what really matters is the voltage while being loaded .

B & D gave you a pretty good answer but I believe by
the question you asked you probably need a little more
detail. A voltage of 12.7 is good to start your engine,
however if it drops to 4 when you try to start the
tractor then there are other considerations to be made,
engaging the starter is ..loading.. the battery. A drop
like that would generally indicate a bad battery, IF the
battery connections are good. Give more details on
what kind of actions are happening when you try to
start it. If nothing really happens not being familiar
with that tractor it could have any of the following
interfering with starting.. neutral switch, clutch safety
switch, PTO safety switch, bad key switch or push
button, actual disconnections in the wiring itself and
bad starter solenoid or starter.

What you need to do is connect the meter to the battery and try to start the tractor. Watch the meter as you do. The voltage can drop down to around 10 and be fine for short periods.

A severe voltage drop only tells you there is a problem, not necessarily what the problem is. Could be a bad battery. Could be bad cables or connections. Could be a bad starter.

Start with the cheap/easy stuff first, cables and connections. Get a battery terminal cleaner tool if you don't have one. They're not expensive, and you should never ignore an excuse to buy a new tool. If your battery cables have those crappy repair ends on them, take them off and redo them, cutting back insulation to expose fresh copper wire if necessary. If you can't expose fresh copper, as in the wire is all black or blue under the insulation, replace the cable.

Once you have exhausted the cheap easy options, move on to more expensive possibilities. You'll have to make a run to the parts store anyway, take the battery with you and have it tested at the parts store.

B&D is correct, it has to maintain at least 9.5 when cranking. We just went through this with our Subaru,
even though the battery tested good by me and 2 parts stores, after I replaced it the parasitic drain went
away. Subaru wanted to install a new $1300 computer!

Not all meters are good for measuring cranking voltage.
These two meters work well for me.
cvphoto152459.jpg

This meter is the only meter I have to measure up to 600 amps
DC. So measuring cranking voltage and cranking amps will tell
you if your battery has enough poop to turn a starter.
cvphoto152460.jpg

Some of the gory details as to the situation of the Ford not starting. Was out in the field mowing down my crop of johnson grass. Turned the Ford off. Would not start when I turned the key. Pulled the starter and it checked out good. Put in a new switch, did not start. Will go back to checking out cables, wires, etc.

Thanks to those who replied. Much appreciated.

You fail to say if it turns over or not.If it does then do you have smoke out the exhaust if not then you have a problem with a fuel shut off solenoid some place. IF smoke then it is not turning fast enough. Guessing this is a diesel. If not then there are a few things that could be not happening or happening that keep it from starting.

12.6 to 12.7 is a fully charged battery. If it clicks, but doesn't start, turn on your headlights and try again. If they stay bright, your
voltage is being interrupted somewhere (connection, switch etc).

I have the same HF battery load tester. Worth its weight. I usually test a battery at 300 amps and expect 11 or more terminal volts with a fully charged battery.

(quoted from post at 10:43:10 04/16/23) it wont start ? do it turn over,slow or fast or just click? details
details

The starter does absolutely nothing. No click, no turn over whatsoever.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back