Ford 4400 - distributor and engine firing order alignmen

Heet0006

Hi - I have a new to me project tractor. 1971 ford 4400 gas. It runs but not well. Kind of spits and sputters. I thought it was a fuel issue so I cleaned the gas tank, fuel lines and carb. Doesnt seem to be that.

I decided to try replacing the distributor and coil. When looking at the distributor and the spark plug wires, it appears the wire for cylinder 3, nearest the radiator is connected to position one on the distributor cap. This seems wrong. Can someone confirm? If it is wrong, could someone help me understand correct cylinder to cap positioning without having to play guess and check?

Thanks

First off, #1 cylinder, not #3 cylinder is closest to the radiator.

You can't just go by a picture or where you think #1 should be. Depending where the distributor rotor was pointed when installed, it could be anywhere and run fine if properly timed. Get # 1 cylinder to top dead center on the compression stroke and see where the rotor is pointing.

You should get the operator's and service manuals for it.

How much trouble am I in? I thought i was swapping one
part for the next. Any link you can point me to guide me
through finding top dead center?

I believe you posted in your first post you have all the original manuals. If you do, the Service and Operator's Manuals should have more details you can study related to the ignition system and detailed timing information. Here is a basic procedure to establish initial timing, your manuals may have specific details related to your tractor and engine.

Finding #1 firing position:
1. Be sure the tractor is in neutral.
2. Locate the timing marks. I think they are on the front side of the flywheel and can be seen through a hole, low in the right side of the flange, at the rear of the block when close to TDC of cylinders one and four. Use a paint stick, or such to mark the TDC mark.
3. Crank the engine over with the distributor cap off. Note which way the fan (easy to see) and the distributor rotor turn for future reference.
4. When turning an engine by hand, turn the engine the same direction the starter turned it. If you have to "back it up"; turn it back more than needed, then go forward again to get the gear train slack removed in the proper direction.
5. Remove the spark plugs so the engine will turn easier. With # 1 spark plug out, bump the engine over with the starter while holding your finger over the #1 plug hole to feel when that cylinder is coming up on its compression stroke It should push your finger away if it is coming up on compression). Stop before it stops building pressure against your finger. (A remote starter button will make it easier for you to crank/bump the engine, without the switch on, while you are at the engine doing this.)
6. Manually rotate the engine (the same direction the starter turned it) by hand while checking in the timing hole for the TDC mark. You will need to move it in small amounts between checks, unless you have someone to turn the engine while you watch for the TDC mark to come into view. When the TDC mark is centered in the hole, #1 should be at TDC on compression stroke.
7. Check to see where the rotor button points. It should point at the current # 1 plug wire contact position in the distributor cap. If you want #1 in specific place in the cap you need to pull and reset the distributor so that the rotor points where you want it.
8. The points should be just opening. This shows the timing is close. Static timing is 0 at this point. Your manual will give you a degree for base timing. You can back the engine backwards a bit, then bring the mark forward for the degree called for in the manual (It will likely something like 4 degrees before TDC).
9. Look at the points. Loosen the distributor clamp, rotate the distributor until the points just start to open and tighten the clamp. (If you have properly gapped the points previously, they should be ok now.) This should set you at the basic timing point.
10. The plug wires, in the proper firing order, should follow the direction of the rotor travel around the cap from the #1 wire location.
11. start it and follow the manual instructions for timing with a timing light and checking the advance.

This was very helpful. Thanks for helping to educate me. I have found the timing marks and know where TDC is on the compression stroke. Planning to start out at 2 degrees BTDC. Just waiting on new plug wires and then I will give it a go.

Thanks again

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back