Ford 455C Backhoe, seat removal

Hemmjo

A excavating contractor friend I have done mechanical work with for years is down sizing. He has a really "well used" 1980's 455C back hoe. Its pretty rusty as he used it many years, only in the winter, clearing snow for a big commercial complex. So it has had a lot of salt exposure. He told me it could "live at my house" if I can get it going. Drove it home a few days ago. It runs well, and all of the hydraulics work.

The biggest issue right now is the seat. I cannot adjust it, and it will not swivel so I can run the hoe. I have run it a little just to makes sure everything works, but kneeing on the seat is not a comfortable way to operate it. I have the owners manual, it talks about moving a lever to swivel the seat, That lever does not appear to be connected to anything. I am too old to work on the seat with it in the cab, I just don't bend like I used to.

SO, my question is, how do I get the seat out. It moves up and down about 4" if I pull and push. There is a pin through the post that slipped out easily. I was hoping the whole seat would lift out after I took the pin out. But it did not

I imagine, but have not yet looked, the post is bolted to the floor of the cab. but if it is, those bolts are going to be impossible to remove with out breaking them. I was hoping the post might slide up .

Any one have experience with this model?

Thanks

Before you pull it, go in there with the PB Blaster or WD or Kroil and coat everything underneath and then do it again the next day. I had the same problem and it took several dousings and sliding before it really freed up nice.
That little handle flops around like it's useless but it really does latch and unlatch by pulling it out and sliding the seat. The seat has to slide back to a certain point and then it will spin 180 and then you can slide it further back close to the controls.

Ah, so that little handle pulls out to the side rather than rotate? I did douse everything with PB yesterday. Have to get a new can today. LOL

Thanks

Before you pull it, go in there with the PB Blaster or WD or Kroil and coat everything underneath and then do it again the next day. I had the same problem and it took several dousings and sliding before it really freed up nice.
That little handle flops around like it's useless but it really does latch and unlatch by pulling it out and sliding the seat. The seat has to slide back to a certain point and then it will spin 180 and then you can slide it further back close to the controls.
Thanks again Tom. I was trying to follow the instructions on the original owners manual. Which is totally wrong. Got the seat to move before I even got a new can of PB Blaster.

455seat.jpg
455seat.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back