Ford 5000 head gasket

adnedidas

New User
I can't seem to find any gasket online that seems to have all the holes. New to this but, does gasket do cover up some holes block and head? Look at picture

Look at the ebay pix. The gasket doesn't have all the holes. 4 of the coolant holes on head are covered and 4 other small holes are covered up by the gasket. Is that normal or I just got the wrong gasket?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240428_173216_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240428_173216_eBay.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240428_153232.jpg
    20240428_153232.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 20240427_103413.jpg
    20240427_103413.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
I can't seem to find any gasket online that seems to have all the holes. New to this but, does gasket do cover up some holes block and head? Look at picture

Look at the ebay pix. The gasket doesn't have all the holes. 4 of the coolant holes on head are covered and 4 other small holes are covered up by the gasket. Is that normal or I just got the wrong gasket?
YT parts
The gasket sets from This site can be compared. Some gaskets do restrict waterflow. Check here for application

Look at the white circle I marked on head and block. I can't find any gasket anywhere that doesn't restrict those 4 oil/water flow holes. Is this normal that those 4 holes are block by the gasket?

Attachments

• 20240428_181354.jpg
    20240428_181354.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 20240428_181218.jpg
    20240428_181218.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 27
Best thinking I have is to look at the original gasket. If it has holes, It needs them (opinion) if not (and the surfaces don't have seal rings around them as though the original had holes) Run it. Hopefully someone will chime in who has had that engine down. Jim

I have found many holes blocked by various head gaskets. It is usually a matter of casting and machining vs operation design.

Best thinking I have is to look at the original gasket. If it has holes, It needs them (opinion) if not (and the surfaces don't have seal rings around them as though the original had holes) Run it. Hopefully someone will chime in who has had that engine down. Jim
Only if I seen the original gasket, I won't be worry this much. I have a guy worked on it and say gasket was good and wanted 5k to fix it but don't know if head or block is crack and that parts will be $3500 plus labor. I went and paid $300, took the tractor back home, took the head to a shop, and found no crack.

Some holes will be blocked by the gasket... that is normal. I can't say offhand which ones.
You also need to get the correct thickness of head gasket. 2 thicknesses are available. Using the thick one where the thin is needed will cause lowred compression and hard starting.
There is a Ford-specific forum here, with lots of knowledge. Some of the guys there could give you a better answer.

How do you get a look at the original gasket? The one you removed would not likely be the original. It may be the third or fourth, and how would you know how it compared to the original?

Got a buddy at a local parts store? See if they will order one in to compare and not charge you any fees. If it matches your good to go, or at least you can have some piece of mind that it will work.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back