Ford 7600 head gasket

Josh M.

Our 7600 rowcrop blew the headgasket. As far as I know it has the factory 256 motor. Are there any differences on the 256 motors I need to look out for when buying a top end gasket set and head bolts for this motor? And am I better off getting parts from the dealer or a reliable parts website?

For your 7600 the head gasket for 1/2” head bolts is the one you need
A head gasket from CNH or FelPro would be my choice or one of the old Tisco gasket sets from SMA
I’d have the head checked for flatness, maybe have a few thousands milled off to remove the depression ring the head gasket sometimes leaves around the cylinder sealing area

Our 7600 rowcrop blew the headgasket. As far as I know it has the factory 256 motor. Are there any differences on the 256 motors I need to look out for when buying a top end gasket set and head bolts for this motor? And am I better off getting parts from the dealer or a reliable parts website?
Better figure out why it blew, because that's a very rare occurrence on those engines.

Better figure out why it blew, because that's a very rare occurrence on those engines.
Not very long after we bought the tractor it went to the dealer for a problem with cylinder 3 I don’t remember what the problem was because I was 10 at the time but they put a new rod and piston in, and had the head off to do that obviously. My guesses are that the head was either improperly torqued or it was never retorqued after so many hours. (My dad and uncles are not super mechanically inclined so I know they never retorqued it if it needed done) I don’t have a manual on me but I’m sure there’s some sort of 50-100 hour retorque I would think. All of the head bolts were very loose, it was fixed about 11 years ago and it’s maybe had 600 hours on it since then (has 2800 now).

There isn’t a retorque requirement for Ford tractor engines that I heard or read about
I do go over the final torque setting 3-4 times to make sure all the bolts are to spec

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back