Ford 532 Position and Draft Control not working right

I've had the machine for a few years. Decided to tackle Position and Draft Control issue. Both Position and Draft control only happen in the upper couple of inches of the Quadrant. As an example, with Draft all the way down, machine should be in Position Control. Entire swing of Position lever does nothing until top couple of inches, then it moves implement up. Same with lowering, all lowering happens with levers travel in the first couple of inches at the top.
I have pulled the lift cover and adjusted to the spec in the Service Manual twice in the last week. The first use after adjusting and reassembly all seems to function as it should. Then it goes right back to the problem. I'm at wits end. I pulled the cover this morning and watched the levers effect over and over and over. The only thing my untrained eye could see was that maybe draft control wasn't doing anything until it was near the top. Fed up!
 
The position control shaft, #25, could have flipped 180 on you. You can get it back in position by disassemling the lever and rotating the shaft.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2026-01-10 101356.png
    Screenshot 2026-01-10 101356.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 61
I was kind of feeling like one of those lever shafts could be out 180. Can the disassembly be done without pulling the lift cover again?
 
Yes. Take the levers off. You have to hold the position shaft with Visegrips when assembling.
That shaft pushes against a lever with tension inside. It flips so fast when you take the handle off of the shaft, you don't really even see it happen.
 
I pulled the lift cover again cuz I have nothing better to do with my Saturday. It all seems to be moving correctly in harmony with the other parts.:unsure: I also pulled the lift cylinder. Reinstalled lift cylinder. Still on the workbench, but It all seems good.
 
Last edited:
Hey TractorTech, So the lift cover is off. Seems like this would be a good time to do that but I'm not convinced it needs it. How can I tell?
 
Take the position handle off of the shaft. Rotate shaft 180 degrees. Bolt handle back and simulate the action. You can also pressurize through front right passage with air and activate the handle to test.
 
OK. But is there a good way to tell if that's needed? With draft handle all the way down, position does feel spring loaded to move down on it's own...
 
Yes, that spring load increases as the position cam goes up. The resistance of the spring stops when the lift arms reach the corresponding position. This is why the position lever has a friction disc to keep it from slipping down.
 
Ok I’m with you. I’ve had the handle off once because it was all bent up. Straightened and reinstalled. Should I have preloaded tension on the spring? Don’t see anything about it in my service manual.
 
Ok I’m with you. I’ve had the handle off once because it was all bent up. Straightened and reinstalled. Should I have preloaded tension on the spring? Don’t see anything about it in my service manual.
It's not preloading the spring, but when the position control lever is in the right position, and you raise it about halfway, you can watch the position cam push the valve in on the cylinder body. When the lift arms get to the preset height, halfway, the valve will center. When you lift the lever all the way up, the valve will push in again. Lift the arms to full height and the valve will center.
The friction disc keep the lever from sliding down when you move the lever up to a preset setting.
 
ok. Will the system duplicate that manually by just raising the arms by hand? Or does there have to be hydraulic oil or air moving the piston to see it operate? And you mention pressurize front right passage. Do you know which hole specifically?
 
I was able to duplicate what you were saying. Raise position control and spring compresses/valve moves. Raise lift arms and it centers. Does that through entire range.
 
Decided I need to disassemble and reassemble the entire top lid. Something is either bent or not installed correctly. I played with it for a few minutes on my lunch break and made a command decision. I just can't put it back together again without discovering what the issue is.
 
The position control shaft, #25, could have flipped 180 on you. You can get it back in position by disassemling the lever and rotating the shaft.
Hey TractorTech, when I reassemble, does the Position Control rod need to be clocked like the pic you sent with the cam lobe oriented to the top of the lid?
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top