The Owner's Manual calls for SAE 20 in temps between 90 degrees and 32 degrees for the engine. Some folks use Rotella 15-40. The differential uses extreme pressure lubricant SAE 80. Some will use 134D in the trans, hyd and diff.
 
In addition to the engine, your 640 has three oil reservoirs: transmission, hydraulic and differential. Presumably (from your handle) you're in a cold climate, I would run New Holland 134 in all three reservoirs. Although the orginal recommendation was to use SAE 80 gear oil in the transmission and differential, 134 is a better choice in cold weather. The transmission will shift smoother, and you don't have to worry about gear oil contaminating the hydraulic fluid. I'd drain out everything and replace it with 134 to be certain.

I prefer 10W-30 over 15W-40 for engine oil. I found my tractor to be very hard to start in subzero weather with 15W-40, but it cranks over easily at -10F with 10W30.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top