Ford 640 engine to trans bolt-up

moday

I took this tractor apart years ago and only had the two large bolts (shown with nuts on them) on each side of the tractor and the two 5/8 bolts at the top of the bell housing. I'm thinking about bolting it back together with the fasteners as I'm showing in the picture below. I've added one more large bolt on each side as well as the bolt in the middle/bottom. I'm sure that it will be fine, but what is the correct bolts to be present for this task? My service manual just says remove bolts between engine and transmission. My part book does not seem to show what is recommended. Any thoughts on this and thanks in advance. I'm thinking that you can't have too many but it seems like this thing has been apart many times as has some non-matching fasteners....there has been some history on this machine. thanks, moday
cvphoto127413.jpg

I think the two large bolts that are above the ones with the nuts on on each side do not belong there, those are probably dowel pin holes that line up with the dowels in the tractor that should already be in the back of the engine.

I'm not sure....they are big holes for dowels and I took pictures when I took this tractor apart and I don't think that those holes were being used. Even without those bolts (the ones without the nuts), there should be plenty holding that together.

thanks, moday

Those large bolts without the nuts would just join the adaptor plate too.....I just thought maybe use them since they are there.

thanks, moday

Interesting to see this post .... I'm about to re-assemble my 850, and thought I would check the parts book to see what the bolts should be, and plan on buying new ones. I checked twice ..... really surprised that out of 271 pages, nothing describes these bolts, nor the trans-center housing fasteners. And no torques mentioned. Guess I'll just wing it, using UNF bolts and standard torque values.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back