Jim in Ma.

Well-known Member
I just picked up a 640 that has been converted to 12 volt neg. ground. It now has an electronic ignition and I would like to go to a points and condenser. My question is What points should I use? is there any difference in 6 or 12 volt ones?
 
Does the tractor run now?
If so,
I don't know why any one would want to go backwards but...
Why not put the new points in a baggie and stash them somewhere on the tractor?
Replace them when/if the EI goes bad.
I suspect you will wait a looong time before you have to use them.
 
Ship me the electronic ignition and I'll send you brand new points and condenser. :D

Personally, I despise the proliferation of electronic gizmos and gadgets on everything we buy nowadays, which makes it nearly impossible to diagnose problems and expensive to repair, but electronic ignition and fuel injection I have come to regard as desireables.
 
These are the part numbers for the premium brands.
They aren't cheap, but are quality parts with ventilated points.
Don't let them leave the X off the end of the BlueStreak part
numbers or you get a lesser quality part.

Points:
Standard Ignition BlueStreak # FD-8081X
NAPA/Echlin # CS753

Condensor:
Standard Ignition Blue Streak # FD75X
NAPA/Echlin # FA66
 
Thanks that's what I needed to know.
I have had two tractors with electric ignition that have let me down when I needed them the most. I'm not a fan.
 
I'd ditto part of what UD said.

buy the points, condensor and breaker plate, and keep them stashed till the EI fails. then it's a quick swap to get back going again.

How long it will be till the EI fails depends on two things basically....your mechanical and electrical maintenance and repair skills and how much magic smoke the chinese worker put in the module that day when he was working. Some electronics don't get very much smoke and die quickly, some get plenty of smoke and stay running for a LOOONG time.

in other words.. as long as you don't leave the key on or hook up the battery backwards, you have done your part, and the rest is wild luck on the part of the EI. :)
 
as long as you don't leave the key on or hook up the battery backwards, you have done your part, and the rest is wild luck on the part of the EI.
f they're not designed to guard against those typical events, they ain't worth spit.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top