LP641

New User
I just bought a 57 Ford 641. Went to change oil and found out that the spring and retaining washer were missing that go inside the oil filter canister. I have been to multiple Ford dealerships and called several internet parts places with no luck. any ideas?
 
might have to go with a 'will fit' setup from a hardware store... that or go to a spin on adapter and the soda can thin oil filters.

soundguy
 
I have a dumb question for you... I just bought a 1961 641 and I went to add oil and I could not figure out where to fill the oil. I located the oil breather cap (in a very awkward location) and I unscrewed the wing nut on top, removed the red cap and mesh element underneath... but there is no way to get a funnel into the fill pipe.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.
 
ma, you just give the piece you took apart a yank and it comes out of the tube it is stuck in, then you can fill it, but be warned, slow is good or else your gonna get it all over
 
LP:

Without the internal parts in the cannister, you have no oil filter. One wonders how long it has been that way.

The simplest remedy is to install a spin-on filter adapter, readily available from aftermarket suppliers.

Dean
 
I have a 671 which is the same as your 641 just different transmission. From what you described it sounds like you took the cap off the side of the valve cover breather. The oil filler tube with breather should be in the lower right front of the engine.

Jack
 
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure I took the top off the oil breather. It's in the lower right near the front, as you stated... below the power steering reservoir. After I took the cap off, the fill pipe feels like there is something inside it, built into the pipe, right at the top. I couldn't get oil in there if I tried.

I thought maybe the breather cap assembly would come off in one piece, but I can't get it to move. So I dismantled it by removing the wing nut and taking off the red top. The base of the "cap" won't easily come out of the fill pipe.

Does it normally require some force? Is it threaded? It's in a very awkward location and I have a loader attached, which makes accessing it even more complicated. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
 
You only unscrew the wing nut if you want to clean/replace the filter element. If you want to add oil grab the whole unit and pull up.
 
there is a baffle in there to help prevent loss of oil from blowby.. it WILL take oil down the tube..

soundguy
 
Thanks. I finally found one at a tractor salvage yard off a different model. It seems to have worked.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top