Ford 6500 Backhoe Engine bolt pattern?

Hello,

I have a Ford 6500 Backhoe. It currently has the default factory engine that's seized and I plan to do some work to try and fix it but i am exploring my options as to what other engines will bolt up with the same bolt pattern, I don't care if its a car, truck, gas, diesel, etc engine just as long as it fits and bolts up right. And yes, I know the arguments for and against doing this but i don't care atm. Just looking at options till i have the time to fully devote to the diesel if i cant get it working easily.


Year: 1974
Ford 4.2L 4-cyl diesel
Displacement 256 ci
 
Hello,

I have a Ford 6500 Backhoe. It currently has the default factory engine that's seized and I plan to do some work to try and fix it but i am exploring my options as to what other engines will bolt up with the same bolt pattern, I don't care if its a car, truck, gas, diesel, etc engine just as long as it fits and bolts up right. And yes, I know the arguments for and against doing this but i don't care atm. Just looking at options till i have the time to fully devote to the diesel if i cant get it working easily.


Year: 1974
Ford 4.2L 4-cyl diesel
Displacement 256 ci

A 4 cylinder engine from a 5000, 7000, 5600, 7600 will fit. Early 5000 used a 233 ci so a few less HP but still a direct swap.
 
Bolt pattern wise any 1965/2003 4 cylinder Ford tractor engine has the same front and rear bolt pattern
Mid 68/75 5000 uses the same 256 engine and is a direct replacement.
6600, 5610 are also same engine but may have different injection pump and intake manifold possibly requiring minor changes to throttle linkage and air cleaner plumbing, you’ll also need to swap on your 6500’s exhaust manifold or one for a 5000
Another easy swap is the larger 268 engine from the 6610 with early models have the same Simms injection pump but different intake and require exhaust manifold swap, later 6610 engines use a different fuel system that requires throttle linkage mods, these engines also are plumbed for oil coolers you can plug off or add a remote cooler to
The later Genesis engines bolt on but I’m not sure what mods are needed fuel, sir and exhaust systems
Any of the 7 series engines have turbos and will bolt on, all are plumbed for oil coolers and your need to modify the hole in your hood for the exhaust outlet, plus the fuel and air mods
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top