Ford 841 Paint Colors (Again)

Testshoot

New User
This message is a reply to an archived post by ford9000puller on April 15, 2020 at 05:51:28.
The original subject was Re: Ford 841 Paint Colors Again.

As Graham said, who has a 1958 841 as I do, it is the orangy color, meaning the orange flavor or red was on the 1958 model. I am seeking matching color for the orangish red for my 1958 but didn't see that shade listed in this forum topic?

You want the orangy red. The darker red was prior to 1958. I could never find a paint code for an automotive-grade paint. I was able to match a remnant of original color from inside the grille to PPG #945352. You can ask any auto paint supplier to cross this number to their line and also ask for a paint color chip chart to see what it should look like. I will warn you, you've got to let the paint cure for a couple of weeks (more if it's colder) to see what the color really looks like. When I first sprayed the casting I was upset at how bright an orange it was. Two weeks later, it calmed itself down to exactly what I expected :)

Thanks for the reply. The bigger issue is a newly painted part won't have the 64-year old fading.
I bought some gray paint from TSC and I am guessing it is lighter than the original gray on the
tractor. I know a lot of people do the full paint job restore, but I am only trying to paint new
parts, or parts on the tractor incorrectly painted, i.e. I have a yellow lever on the loader
control.

Unfortunately no paint will match exactly to the 60-odd years of fade. If you're just trying to get close for the parts that are obviously not right, then the spray bombs are your best bet (and certainly the cheapest). See if you can find a paint chip chart for the cans. Will get you as close as possible. Those paints tend to dry matching chip color. YMMV.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back