Ford 850 stalls

DCrocker

New User
Hi guys. I have a 1955 Ford 850, 5 speed, 12 volt system. I worked it for about an hour grading my roads this morning with no problems. I shut it down for lunch, then went back to work. After about 5 minutes, it stalled. It didn't sputter or cough like it was starving for gas, just quit.It would crank but not start. I checked the gas tank, fuel lines, and carb. Plenty of fuel.

After a few minutes it started right up and ran fine for another 30 minutes or so. It then stalled again. Again, after a few minutes it started right back up. It stalled a few more times throughout the afternoon, and each time, after a few minutes it would start right back up.

Since I had plenty of fuel getting to the carb, I assume electical. The wires to each plug are seated tightly, and all plug wires to the distributer are tight. The wire from the coil to the distributer is tight. However, the coil was hot to the touch.

Since it didn't sputter, I don't think the plugs are bad. Do you think the coil is breaking down? What esle might it be?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dan
 
Does your tractor use a 12 volt coil or does it use a ballast resistor and 6 volt coil?

Start it up and let it run, when it dies, immediately check for spark at the coil high tension wire and spark plug. If no spark, replace the coil. Post back with results.

A hot coil could be causing the problem. Scroll down the page and read the posts concerning similar problem.
 
It would be super easy to troubleshoot and pinpoint this problem if you stopped assuming and started observing.

As easy as it is to look inthe gas tank and see gas.. you can 'look' at your spark by seeing if you have spark with a spare plug and a wire pulle doff one cyl .. open the gap to 3/16 and see what you get on all 4.

post back.

if no spark.. start checking for power to the coil.. etc..

soundguy
 
Thanks Glen. Worked the tractor this morning. When it stalled, pulled a plug and had a good spark. In chasing the wiring back to make sure all connections were bright and tight, noticed the sediment bowl was almost empty of fuel and had just a slow drip of fuel going into the bowl.

I drained the tank and pulled the fuel line, blew it out with compressed air and reinstalled. Refilled the tank, and restarted the tractor. Worked it for another solid four hours without a problem.
 
Hey D;

Yep that happens! Keep in mind the fuel cap too. They are meant to be vented. If clogged you'll get the same symptoms.

Glad to hear you're up and running. Be Safe!
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top