Ford 860 Hydraulics

dusty082000

New User
Hi everyone! I have a 1957 Ford 860 with a Superior Loader. It has a crank driven hydraulic pump for the loader. I posted on
here last week about the valve controls and recieved some good information. I bought a 4 way 3 postion valve from Tractor Supply
and I am wondering about closed/open systems. I read that this valve is open. Would this system need an open center valve or
closed??? I assume this is an open system as the fluid continually flows. Any insight is really apreciated

Is the oil reservoir in the loader or a separate tank?
For that vintage tractor, I would assume it is one or the other,
not using the tractor's hydraulic oil.
Yes, it is most likely an open center valve.

Yes the oil reservoir is in the loader frame. So seperate from the tractor. So it should be an open system? I believe this new valve is an open center. Thanks

(quoted from post at 08:30:30 04/20/23) Yes the oil reservoir is in the loader frame. So seperate from the tractor. So it should be an open system? I believe this new valve is an open center. Thanks

99+% of those old systems were open center, so I expect yours is open center as well.

You don't tell what valve you bought so we can't see the specs but I see a Chief 2 spool 10gpm valve at TSC with notes that indicate it can be closed center or have power beyond, if you purchase the optional parts required. That info tells me it is an open center valve as sold off the shelf.

Did you purchase the adapter fittings needed to connect to your hoses? I doubt your current (original) loader valve has SAE ports. I expect your current valve has NPT ports and you will need adapter fittings.

Thanks for the information. I'll attach two pictures but I believe I found the answer. Looks like closed or power beyond you have to buy accessories. Yes I bought adapters to connect my hoses as well
cvphoto152838.jpg

cvphoto152839.jpg

cvphoto152840.jpg

cvphoto152841.jpg

Got the new valve setup installed today and
it works great! Only question I have is
that you have to pull the valve handles
back or forward all the way. If you only
pull them a little, to go slower, it makes
the tractor want to stall. Almost like it
needs the fluid to fully flow or it creates
to much pressure or something. Is there
something I need to adjust, or is that the
way these newer valves work? Thanks!

Got the new valve installed today and it
works great! Only question I have is that
if you don't pull the levers fully forward
or back, the tractor wants to stall. I was
only partially pulling them to do a slower
movement. Almost like it was building
pressure. Fully pulling them works great
though. Is there an adjustment I need to
make or is that the way these newer valves
work? Thanks

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back