Ford 861 starter issue

Chbarnha

New User
Im going to try to explain this as well as I can. Im still new to these old tractors. I was running my 861 this morning pulling a disc and everything was operating as it should most of the morning. I cut the tractor off to hop off and grab a drink. When I got back on I noticed that the indicator light for the key switch was no longer functioning. I tried to start the tractor and nothing happened. Thinking maybe the battery had died I disconnected it to see what I could figure out. When I did I was receiving spark of both the positive and negative terminals. So I ran to the house and got jumper cables to see if that was my issue. When I hooked the battery back up the tractor tried to start on its own with the key in the off position and the push button switch not being pressed. Is this a shirt off the key switch or off the push button starter switch. Would like to get an idea of what to order so I can get it on the way. Basically it seems like my starter is now staying hot.

I would start by trouble shooting the solenoid. Put your test meter on the leads to see if one is hot when its not supposed to. I suspect you will find both large terminals hot whether the start button is depressed or not indicating a stuck solenoid.

Check the wire that runs from the starter button. It may have come loose or been pinched at some point. The starter button provides a ground that activates the solenoid, if the wire has cracked insulation or is pinched between the battery and the battery box, or has come loose from the switch it could cause the symptoms you describe.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back