Ford 876 4WD

A local jockey has a fair looking Ford 876, 5800 hrs. Curious to hear from guys who have been around them. I have done a little research, but I don't know too much about them...I've been around green and red ones. I went and looked at it the other day: Fair rubber 60-70% Goodyear 20.8 R42 duals; greaseable steering and pivot pins; 4 hyd; they put in a new cab kit (sloppyish job); needs new headliner; AC seemed to work. I think the engine was a L10 Cummins. It started good and was dry underneath. It runs like a top. I did drive it around the lot...not sure if I was doing something wrong or what. I thought it was hard to shift. The range gears (R-1-2-3) seemed hard to find/feel and the speed gears (1-2-3-4) were hard to get into gear. Also I could shift the 1-4 lever up on the go but I couldn't shift down. Does anyone know if this is normal with these rigs or was it operator error? I guessed I can't shift ranges on the go but I figured I should be able to shift the 4 speeds on the go. Do I have to stop before I shift? As I said I know nothing about these tractors. Overall it seemed like a decent tractor. I did think it was a bit rough riding, but the only other 4WD I've been in is a JD 9220 which is newer. The paint wasn't bad, the rims had been repainted but that don't bother me.
Just looking for someone who know about these things to tell me something about them. Want to know common problems; what to look for; ease of maintenance and operation; parts availability (there is a few New Holland as well as one Versatile dealer around me); things of that nature. If I'd buy it, it wouldn't be worked that hard. We have a 30' sunflower mulch finishing tool and a 24' salford VT tool, a 9 shank chisel plow, possibly borrow a landoll 6 shank disc ripper (might be a load). I know our tillage tools are probably too small for a 280 hp tractor like this but it would give room to grow. I'd prefer something red or green because that's just what I'm used to, but I'm willing to try something new. Not sure if a 4WD is even the route I'm gonna go, but I seen it the other day and it sparked my curiousity. If anyone has any idea what this thing might be worth let me know! They have it listed for just under $35000.

I welcome any thoughts on the matter...I am looking for cheap horsepower but nothing too big as we don't farm that much ground.

Thanks in advance and to all my fellow farmers: Stay safe out there!
 
My cousin had one that I got to run a couple days, before he sold if last spring... so I've driven one, butcam FAR from an expert on them! Yes, it's Cummins L10, turbo + intercooled, 280 h.p. My cousin's was hard to shift as well. The shift lever on the console (I call that the range shifter) was very stiff, and the floor shift had a vague, clumsy feel. You do need to stop to shift. There is also a transmission brake that is activated in the last inch of clutch pedal travel. It is not meant to stop the tractor, just to arrest any gear movement before you shift.
IIRC, my cousin got $36k for his... with 8 almost new 20.8x38 Firestone SAT II's.
Video clip is of my son driving it for the first time. (14 years old at the time)
876 and 29 foot Case disk.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top