Ford 8n Clutch Replacement While Keeping The Hood On.

A.D.H.D

New User
Hello long time lurker first time poster first off this forum has been amazing ! And super helpful well now I need your help for a topic I can only find a little about . Im gonna be doing a clutch job on my 8n and with it have a Dearborn loader and me ha omg limited time I a few post that done fo into crazy detail about splitting the tractor while keeping the hood attached and doing something with the steering box when I asked about more details In the Facebook group I was met with people telling me it will be super hard if not impossible and they would turn down customers that wanted it done that way but yet cant find anything negative about or cant get a straight answer to why so any help would be great thank you again

Used to do a number that way. Unbolt steering gear, pickup slightly by steering wheel with cherry picker. Battery has come out for 2 bolts. Roll back, drop front of trans to clear steering box. With loader
going to be a little more fun.

Whut Shaun says tie to the center steering shaft its doable you will be rolling the back haft the front says put... Unbolt the loader where it mounts to the rear and support the rear of the loader then roll the back haft of the tractor away from it...

I did not say it was EZ : ) I can see 10/12 hr's its 70 years old it will put up a good fight...

Hey Shaun how many inches do you need to drop the front end the clear that ? Also if I leave the loader on and take the hood would I still have to drop the front thanks not much info about splitting with the loader on

What would be the best way to secure the rear of the loader thanks so much for all this amazing help !

Okay thanks for all your help just never did this before and can feel like a big job until I get one under my belt I guess. Im just trying to visualize how much it would have to drop and how much drop I could get from the loader still being on there I guess time will tell hopefully I can drop it enough to clear the steering box . As long as you dont have to drop it some crazy crazy amount it should have a little play once its unhooked from the rear fenders to allow that front to drop

What loader do you have that will determine if you can hang the steering... You will have to support the engine and the loader its going to be a big job... I hope you are a young man its not an old mans job...

As Shaun and Hobo said support the front and roll the rear. In order to be able to roll the rear easily and safely while lowering it a little bolt a trailer jack with a wheel to the side of the center housing.

Its a Dearborn loader the old type where you have to climb into the seat and Im 25 so Im probably just a baby to some of you haha

Okay I saw that done a few times now and play in fabricating a trailer wheel just for that purpose now I see you have to lower the front to clear the steering box I do have a loader on that Im trying to visualize how much the front is gonna be to be lowered to allow the tractor to split I can seem the find any info on the lowering part. Even in the repair manual roughly how many inches or *hopefully not* feet are we talking that the front has to be dropped

Here's a 640 I put a clutch in a few years back. Hang the steering wheel unbolt and support the loader, lower trans and roll back. was a bit harder with the power steer and loader
control still attached on the hydraulics but no real big deal.

<a href="https://imgur.com/d3wdmqW">
d3wdmqWl.jpg" title="source: imgur.com"
</a>

No cherry picker Hang the steering column off the ceiling beams with a comealong. engine and loader frame blocked up and floor jack under trans to roll back. Once the input shaft
clears you can drop it down a bit. If you get hung up my email is open.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back