ford 8n throtle response

melohn

New User
when the throttle lever is at it's lowest point and I begin to increase the engine speed, the speed doesn't increase until the lever reaches the 5th notch on the throttle plate. Is something out of adjustment? How would I correct that? Thanks, Jim

(quoted from post at 18:38:14 06/28/23) when the throttle lever is at it's lowest point and I begin to increase the engine speed, the speed doesn't increase until the lever reaches the 5th notch on the throttle plate. Is something out of adjustment? How would I correct that? Thanks, Jim

You have a 70 year old tractor with no electronic controls and the throttle lever response is not linear and never was.

If this stresses you, get rid of it and buy a late model CUT with electronic controls and Tier IV emissions and report back as to how that is less stressful than what you have!

I didn't realize you would think a thing like that would cause me stress. In fact working on that old tractor is a stress reliever. So again, is there an adjustment that can be made to the linkage to eliminate that delay or is that common on those tractors. Thanks, Jim

My 2N does the same thing, except it doesn't have notches. When everything was brand new it probably worked better, but linkages and governor levers wear and get sloppy. As long as it starts and runs well, I wouldn't worry about it.

Watch your throttle linkage to see if the rod to the governor moves as soon as you move the throttle lever. Then check to see if the linkage to the carb moves as soon as the governor moves. It is very possible the first few notches you are just taking up slack in the linkage.

Good luck,

John

p.s. I have never worked on an 8n, but linkage slop is common on everything.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back