Ford 900 Cornpicker

Dan S (NY)

Well-known Member
Saw this behind a local dealer. How common are these? It looked pretty complete.

<a href="http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa18/oldtrojanm/?action=view&current=cornpicker1.jpg" target="_blank">
cornpicker1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket
</a>

<a href="http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa18/oldtrojanm/?action=view&current=cornpicker2.jpg" target="_blank">
cornpicker2.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket
</a>
 
Some, or most pickers around here were mounted on tractor dedicated only to picking. There fore the hours are low and the sheetmetal is great. That one appears to have maybe original tires. Probably was always shedded till the farm sold to developers and it was dumped outside. Looks like lots of other goodies in the overgrowth too.
 
I used a cornpicker just like that on my 960 in 1970 when i started farming. Picker was POS. I barely was able to pick 20 acres because it broke constantly. I gave up when a major bearing went out So I hired neighbor to finish the other 200 acres with his IH 560 with mounted picker. He picked 200 in the same time I did the 20. I dumped the picker in the woods till couple of years ago when i scraped it. I still use the 960. Its a great loader tractor.
 
Neat... I'd get it.. it's at least worth the 9XX under it. Plus you could fix it up for shows.. etc.

soundguy
 
Picked a couple hundred acres, some times more,of corn with one of them from 1964 to some where in the mid 70s.The one in the photes was called a Model 16-66. The later verson ,more streamelined and larger side elevators was a Model 602. Years ago, when I worked for A dealer, we put this picker on almost any tractor.IHC M, AC-WD-45,M-H 44,even on a Fordson Major.THAT, was a major operation.
 
There was a 901 with a picker like that for sale near me a few years ago. Didn't have the cash to do anything about it, but still wish I'd have gotten it somehow... even though those things are for wide rows and I plant narrow rows and don't harvest ear corn anymore. Tractor was sold and picker was scrapped.
There's a 901 with a picker on ebay right now, in Alabama. Shedded, but been sitting for a long time, doesn't run.
901/2 row
 
There was a step on the side of the picker in front of the rear wheel. Any acrobatic farmer could make it from there!!
 
Did you see the movie Cars? Remember Frank the combine? That thing looks mean enough to be Frank's little sidekick, especially that front view!
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top