ford 960 pto

backwoods

Member
I pulled my pto shaft 2 weeks ago. It had the small shaft and the spines are almost worn off. My local new holland dealer has tried to get a new standard 540 shaft assembly from 2 different companies and they have it on back order with no idea when delivery would be possible. Any ideas where else to get this from? I have tried the salvage yard but the keep giveing me the wrong one. I'm in se indianna.
 
When I bought my first 1955 850 it had the small shaft. I replaced it soon after buying the tractor. I don"t know how long the first X00 series got the small shaft, but I don"t think it was even a full year. I"ve never seen any documentation on this change.
 
When I replaced my 850 pto I was able to buy a bolt-in complete assembly from the New Holland dealer for about $120. That was over 10 years ago. I'm not sure where you go now for a complete assembly.

This site shows a shaft only for $93. It doesn't say whether it's back ordered or not. Check the link. You'd have to reuse your old housing, bearings, seals, etc or buy them separate.
PTO shaft on YT
 
Ran the numbers its a 1955 960
a69892.jpg
 
Larry. Yes they did have 1.125 shafts in the 1955 &1956 models.Won't forget it. Put and after marcket 1 3/8 shaft in the first time. It twisted off and had to cut it out in the hyd resevour with a torch. The next time was genuine Ford.and is still there.I'll have to admit the first time we had a IHC 45 baler on it. Nothing worse on PTO shafts.This all happened back in the 60's. Shaun, this sit has and 1 3/8 shaft listed. Check the left hand corner of this site for parts.
 
Yes it certainly is. I can tell from the flat footrests. However the 1955 had a solid front pedestal so that wide front must be an aftermarket conversion. What did they do with the original pedestal? Does it just dangle from behind the wide axle? Or was it cut off somehow? I'm curious.
 
Jim,
The one time I saw a wide front conversion on a 900 series with the one piece pedestal, the lower end of the pedestal was where the steering arms/tie rods were connected. Of course the horizontal axle for the 2 wheel, narrow front had been removed.
Alan
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top