Ford baler ???'s

dwragon

Member
Can anyone identify this Ford baler, as the ?Cover? on the side is throwing me, does it simply raise and lower? and does anyone know if Ford (Ford New Holland) made it, or was it one of the ones made for Ford, and what are the roller shaft pully things on top of it?
mvphoto84916.jpg



This post was edited by dwragon on 11/23/2021 at 08:01 am.
 
As far as the design and manufacturing goes it has nothing to do with New Holland. For parts purposes it was merged into New
Holland after the Ford name was discontinued during the 1990's. It has been said that parts are extremely difficult to find for
those era balers. Model number of 532? It seems that the next step was sourcing balers from IH around 1980. Then the NH red and
yellow balers when Ford acquired NH in 1986.
 
I may buy it anyway, if I can get it cheap enough, IE, can get some parts I need that I see on it off of it worth the money, and salvage the rest. Just mainly wanted to see if it was the later one made by NH, because everyone says stick with NH or JD, but I wont pay for the JD name. I pay for what it can do for me.
 
(quoted from post at 17:32:44 11/23/21) I may buy it anyway, if I can get it cheap enough, IE, can get some parts I need that I see on it off of it worth the money, and salvage the rest. Just mainly wanted to see if it was the later one made by NH, because everyone says stick with NH or JD, but I wont pay for the JD name. I pay for what it can do for me.

Then you will pay for it again and again.
 
Fiat has the highest prices on parts followed by agco . Whos
fiat ? Ford , new holland, case , case ih . 75$ for a handful of
brass fittings. 169$ for a Chinese u joint plus freight and 2
weeks to get it two years ago before the scamdemic
cvphoto108818.jpg


cvphoto108819.jpg
 
I agree with you totally and completely on not paying for just a name.

If you are buying an older small square baler, buy a JD or NH baler. It will save you a lot of headache and money.

This is just one of those few situations where it pays to spend.

IHC balers got pretty good by the model 46 I think, but the parts and knowledge isnt there. New holland and JD just so dominated the market all the other brands had
lower and lower sales.

Other brands might work and might not; if they dont finding parts and getting them tuned up to be dependable is difficult these days.

Now, newer balers is a different story, and the special heavy duty balers of the West like Freeman are a whole different thing, not talking about them.
 
well, I found a JD 224ws (Wire Series???), it is a wire baler, but it is missing some parts. they are asking $2000.00 for it. Is that a fair price or is $1000.00 closer to it ($1500 is an as is auction average.), as they have no idea if it ever operated correctly because they never baled hay with it?

This post was edited by dwragon on 11/23/2021 at 10:33 am.
 
(quoted from post at 16:26:36 11/23/21) Run, Run, Run! 224 is too old! May be original design and no parts available.

Been reading old posts here about the 224's second or third jd sq baler,

can still get parts at https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/navigation/equipment/78039,

but falls into the $500 price range, which is my budget
 
RUN!Ford 530/532/542.Made by New
Idea.The last one was built 50 years
ago.Few if any parts are available.Yes
they were decent bakers in the day.There
were a number of them here in Western
Colorado in the day.Now those that are
left are sitting junked in femcerows.My
brother in law actually had three(2
wire,1 string).All three are
junked/gone.The parts on top are most
likely the remnants of the
knotters.Nonrepairable knitter failure
is probably the reason it was
parked.RUN!!bite the bullet and buy a
John Deere 336 or newer
Or a New Holland 27x series.You will be
glad.
 

I agree with running from the Ford in principle, but if I can get it for cheap enough to get the parts I need off of it to fix the JD224WS (if I can get it cheap enough..) i will buy it and scrap it. as to the NH balers vs JD vs. NH balers, the NH balers are known for banana bales, so its JD or a Hesston, maybe a 4550, as I have read that they can bale behind a bushhog, follow like a round baler, and easy to tow. I have been seeing alot about the 336, but dont know if they are in my price range. Never knew my ? would morph into this though.
 
Parts from that Ford baler will not fit on a John Deere baler. I don't know if you are trolling or really interested in a square baler, but listen to what other posters are trying to tell you.
 
(quoted from post at 21:19:10 11/23/21)
I agree with running from the Ford in principle, but if I can get it for cheap enough to get the parts I need off of it to fix the JD224WS (if I can get it cheap enough..) i will buy it and scrap it. as to the NH balers vs JD vs. NH balers, the NH balers are known for banana bales, so its JD or a Hesston, maybe a 4550, as I have read that they can bale behind a bushhog, follow like a round baler, and easy to tow. I have been seeing alot about the 336, but dont know if they are in my price range. Never knew my ? would morph into this though.
I have no idea where you're getting some of this information, but much of it is just plain wrong.
 
I'm brother has had some of those old Ford 530, 532 balers in the past, if the one way roller clutch on the front of the flywheel fails the baler is done, parts for that clutch haven't been available for years.
The knotter assembly looks very much like one on a NH but the parts won't interchange, we learned that the hard way. Broke a bill hook on one side and my brother installed one for a NH because it was cheaper, baler wouldn't tie properly tying half dozen bales and then missing 2 or 3.
Never got so mad at a baler in my life as I did that one, he finally told me what he did and I told him to get a Ford bill hook or I'd stuff it full of hay and burn it to the ground
At the time a NH bill hook was $50 but the one for the Ford baler was nearly $250, after installing the correct part it baled good until the roller clutch blew apart, sold it as a parts machine for less than the bill hook cost.
We don't make many square bills these days but we have a old NH 270 for the few hundred we do make, properly adjusted it makes pretty decent bales
They are a little slow but if you want good square bales look at a Massey #12 or the newer 124, made a lot of bales with a #12 back in the day but you can't crowd it like you can a NH
Never ran a JD baler so can't commit on them

That extra knotter assembly on top of that one is a warning sign telling you to walk away, Quickly.

This post was edited by Destroked 450 on 11/24/2021 at 06:26 am.
 
(quoted from post at 18:26:36 11/23/21) Run, Run, Run! 224 is too old! May be original design and no parts available.

Roger
IIRC the tying parts on JD 224WS will interchange with present model JD 348. Although 224 had narrowe pickup with wider spaced teeth they would bale hay very well. A JD 346 had to really work to outbale a 224.
 
The seller is looking for a sucker
2000 for a parts machine is about 1800
too much.Ig it's missing parts,then all
it is is parts.
 
I don't know what you are smoking.But if
you think Ford parts will fit
aJohnDeere,then you are stoned out of
your mind.Forhet about the old junkets
needing repaira.in the end you will have
more money spent (and aggervatipn) than
of you just bought a good useable
machone.Buy a Deere 3xx series,you will
love it.
 
You are correct that in lines will bale
'lawn clippings'.I have a
CIH8530(Hesston4570).the in lines are
pricey,but worth the money.My baler has
baled over 50,000 bales with out
miss.Every bale is the same,weather
heavy or light,or a mix.Never a
banana.Pictured is a (50 pound)bale from
a 9 acre field that made 40 bales.So
yes,' lawn clippings'
<icvphoto108899.jpg>
I kind of 'fell into' this baler for
$5000.<At the time I thought I was a damn fool for spending that much money.On the other jand I would be a damn fool for npt buying it.I have never been sorry and have hever looked back.Best baler ever!src=https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cvphotos/cvphoto108900.jpg>
 

DeltaRed, that is 99% true, but the only parts missing from the JD baler is the PTO shaft and tow shaft, which there are on the ford baler, as well as a lift jack, and I probably can use the rims also, those make it worth it for $100, which is scrap prices, which was what I was going to offer.
 
you have time shop for a working baler hopefully from a farmer up grading or retireing dont know what part of country youre in but
here in ne pa they canbe found with patience had ford stuff before usually made by ni or nh ford parts are scarce and$$$$
 
Hay and dairy country and I have never seen a Ford Baler and they say built by New Idea, did not know New Idea ever built a square baler in that time frame. And here you cannot give a wire baler away even for scrap as too hard to get cyt up for scrap yard to take. And I lived 40 mile away from the New Idea factory. Those flail Mower-conditioners did not sell in this part of the country either. And New Idea factory was permently close in the 1990's with no body left to make parts.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top