Ford Engines In Combines ?

Hello . A somewhat strange question . As many know , Ford engines found there way into many combines . Clayson / New Holland being the prime example . Anyway this might sound a silly question to many . When ford engines were uses in combines . The "back plate" as I beilve is the name they give to the part where the flywheel is house and the strater motor fixes to , like on the tractors was that cast into the block and not removable , or were they like as no many other engines , removable thus , being able to use and alternative backplate . I ask for I want to do a model of a Nuffield tractor with a six cylinder conversion . However , cant get holf of a perkins of Leyland engine . Can get hold of a ford 6 cylender though , but looking at ones that go into tractors owing to the way in which they were cast it would seem there is no way in which they could be converted to fit a Nuffield . Anybody know ? Thanks David
 
Some industrial Fords were Mfd with SAE flywheel housings. I believe they had a wheel loader with a vendor supplied transmission and it had an SAE wheel. Don't know what the Nuffield used......proably an English standard or their own design.....
SAE dimensions
 
David, Im not sure what engine a Nuffield has in it but there were two basic diesels used in Ford combines that I know of.One engine is the 256? 4 cyl like a 5000 Ford tractor had and it is found mostly in 622 Ford combines.This engine does not have the round SAE bellhousing but at one time you could buy a SAE housing from Ford power products to fit this engine.I have an SAE housing for a 401 cubic inch 6 cyl and it is supposed to fit the four cyl also.The Ford part number is DOJJ6394B.The other engine is the 363-380 Dorset Ford that is commonly found in 642 Ford and TR70 New Holland combines.It does not have a removable bellhousing but it is a round bolt pattern.I have heard of some people using this engine to convert some British built 4cyl tractors to a 6 cyl and it is a bolt in swap.Maybe this will help and maybe someone that has made this conversion can help you more.
 
The Ford 2715e, Dorset and Dover 6 cyl industrial engines were used in many applications, road trucks, tractors, combines, boats etc They were used in the UK by County, Roadless and Muir Hill on some of their tractors... I think Bray may have also converted some Nuffields to MFWD, not sure what engines they used though. You could try googling these.
Chris
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top