Ford F150, Dodge Chevrolet etc

You guys will know the answer but may not agree on who is correct. We are doing our summer vacation road trip in the US and Canada in just over a months time, approximately 3000 miles. The past two years we have hired a Ford F150 Eco boost and have always been very pleased, 24 mpg average for our trip is what we have achieved. My question is, when we get to the car retail place what if we get offered one of the models from the competition such as a Dodge or Chevrolet how will they compare in the MPG test? I know your fuel is so so much cheaper than ours but 3000 miles still costs and we would like an economical truck. Any thoughts or experiences welcome.

My honest opinion, you won?t find just a whole lot of difference between the three , Dodge, Ford or GM. They will all give you good performance. Beings as you have already tried the Ford, this would give you an excellent opportunity to try a GM or Dodge. Myself, I have at one time or another owned all three. I currently drive a Dodge pickup which we bought new in 2015 , and find it to be both comfortable and economical to drive. Much of the difference in fuel economy will come from where you drive, city or hyway. And of coarse your own driving style plays a bigger part in fuel economy than what most people are willing to admit. If you tramp down hard on the accelerator every time you pull away from a stop, or do not anticipate stops by letting up on the gas , and letting the vehicle slow on its own some before coming to a stop. These things dramatically change fuel economy.

As to which is better...all three mileage have their pros and cons as to engine and driving style. If you get offered a choice and depending on the number of people in your group, just go sit in them, easy to get in and out, some sit higher with either 17 to 20 inch tires, two door/extended cab/ crew cab? leg room in the back, comfort features, tonneau cover? if not a crew cab gives lots of easy lockable storage for two or three people to travel.
E mail your rental place and have them list what vehicles they have or may have to bring it for you at your arrival time?
enjoy your time here regardless.

Try to find a rental place that is NOT near an airport. You can usually get better priced rentals at such a place...

(quoted from post at 03:43:20 08/05/18) You guys will know the answer but may not agree on who is correct. We are doing our summer vacation road trip in the US and Canada in just over a months time, approximately 3000 miles. The past two years we have hired a Ford F150 Eco boost and have always been very pleased, 24 mpg average for our trip is what we have achieved. My question is, when we get to the car retail place what if we get offered one of the models from the competition such as a Dodge or Chevrolet how will they compare in the MPG test? I know your fuel is so so much cheaper than ours but 3000 miles still costs and we would like an economical truck. Any thoughts or experiences welcome.

Averaged 24 mpg for the entire trip. Is that according to the on-board computer? Or is it according to pencil and paper?

On my F-150 you have to go to the right of
the decimal point to find a difference
between what the computer says and the
manual calculations.

Fuel aside I like the Ram cab comfort the best... The also have the most room in a 4 door model a lot more... I have a 2018 at the shop now belongs to a couple of retired vets that take there dogs everywhere with them.. The #1 advantage the rear seat area is LARGE....

Ram offers two different lengths of extended cabs, Crew cab is longest, lots of leg room. I bought an
'18 1500 Quad-Cab, rear doors and seating area about 7 inches shorter. I wanted the longer box,would
have liked an 8 ft box but none on the dealer's lot, haven't had anybody sit in back seat in the 6+
months I've had it.

I get 16 mpg, maybe a bit more on local rural and city driving with the 5.7L Hemi. Not sure what I'd get
on a trip, Did drive almost 400 miles one weekend, running 75-80 MPH I averaged 16+ mpg. Route had lots
of hills, my old '96 F250 diesel only got about 17 mpg running 70. On level roads I could get 19 mpg.

Overall, after 38 years of owning Ford pickups, I really like this new RAM 1500.

Brendon I am on my third eco-boost and I am just like you the computer computed mileage is very close to actual fill up figured. This 2018 I am driving at 28,000 miles is still in the 21 mpg over the 28,000 miles. That includes several miles of trailer towing.

Welcome to our country and the US! We recently finished a major road trip across Canada, averaging 20 mpg while pulling a trailer in our Chev Silverado . We did notice a number of vehicles with European plates....they must have shipped it over for an extended road trip, but imagine what that would cost! On the other hand, renting a motor home starts at about 250 dollars per day, so it may be cheaper to bring your own for a long stay. As far as vehicles, I agree with the other posters....they are all comfortable and capable vehicles, and each can get 25 plus mpg on a long trip IF you drive accordingly. Plan your trip well be sure to allow a few extra days to take advantage of any unexpected opportunities that may arise....lots to see and do here.....and check out the YT members map...if you are near any of us, it sure would not hurt to try and meet up. Enjoy!
Ben

Hi Bill,the Ram V8 will run right at 20 mpg, the V6 Rams at work are getting 27 to 28 mpg. I have a 2014 v8 and the next one is going to be a v6.(I buy leased returns)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back