Ford Model 9N - Engine Clacking

wlangenfeld

New User
Hello N Board Forum,

I've a 1941 Ford Model 9N S/N 9N57720 and the engine has a noticeable CLACK when running at all rpms. When the engine is pulling the clack diminishes or goes away altogether, however, when the engine is running with no load, the clack is pretty loud. Oil pressure starts out at 40 on the gauge when cold, however, goes down to around 10-20 when at operating temperature. I'm thinking a valve or two may need to be adjusted, however, have learned the early N engines didn't have easily adjustable valves and this was changed at some point during 9N production.

Does anyone know the serial number of the engine when Ford went from non-adjustable valves to easily adjustable valves and/or the rotating exhaust valves?

If the valves are easily adjustable I can accomplish this by removing the intake and exhaust manifolds and if they are not adjustable I understand I'll need to remove the head and replace all of the existing valve assemblies with adjustable valve assemblies i.e., a much bigger job. Thank You!

Oil pressure dropping off warm is normal.
Get yourself some adjustable valves to put in there.
Then have a good time.

wlangenfeld ,Take a short piece of like 5/8" heater hose ,hold one end up to your ear while moving the other end around #4 exhaust port and listen for leaks.The manifold could be leaking.

When I split my '41 9n#415xxx [can't remember the whole #,CRAFT],I did it to replace the oil pump pickup tube and gears. The valves were adjustable ones[probably fitted by previous owner] and were very loose. They didn't make much noise before. These old motors make noise,sooner or later so clacking is about normal. This split of the tractor gave me a chance to check the main and rod bearings,etc. I built a shed with a strong beam in the roof and hoisted the motor while the axle,hood etc was removed. I simply bolted the engine to my engine stand and it was fairly easy to do what was needed.

A noise in my 8N engine not long after I purchased it in 2001 turned out to be a loose crank pulley bolt. I already had the hood and front wheels off and ended up doing a full rebuild/repaint.

8N_1950.jpg

op8n_0703road2.jpg

Still running strong - did some backblade work today...

I agree about using the 'mechanic's stethoscope' to isolate where the noise is coming from.

es

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back