Ford NAA hydraulic lift problem

Hugh1950

Hi,.
I would like a clue as the most likely cause of my 3 point lift problem.
Bought an NAA a few years ago, been using it mostly for running a trailer-type rotary mower, but also some plowing and discing. Wanting to plow down a few more acres of sod soon to plant more alfalfa in the Spring.
The 3 point will barely lift my Dearborn 10-1 plow high enough to clear the ground. And it bobs up and down an inch or two, about once every second. makes plowing difficult. Also, draft control or position control don't seem to work, I have to keep one hand on the lift lever, and control the depth by listening to the load on the engine, and watching the depth of the furrow.
Been plowing with Fords since I was 9 years old.
Oil level is OK on the dipstick.
I know the internal mechanism is different than the Ferguson system used on my 9N, 2N, and 8N. Rather not have to open up the top cover if I don't have to, but figure it will probably be necessary.
Any clues to the probable cause will be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Hugh1950

Pull the right hand inspection cover off the one by your right heel when on the tractor. Fire it up and try to lift something. Look inside fr oil moving or leaking from above and that will be the area causing you the problem

I will try that. I bought one of those small video cameras with the lens on the end of a flexible extension, might be a good time to try it out.
I did find a video on YouTube showing a large leak coming out of the sheetmetal cover over the spool valve area. (The fellow said he didn't think you could get new spools, it that right? So how could you fix that problem? The bore in the housing would most likely be worn, so might need to be reamed/honed oversize, but then you would need an oversize spool to get the close fit needed.) I suppose the other main problem would most likely be leakage in the lift cylinder and piston.
I'm wondering if leakage could be partly compensated for by screwing in the "Hy-Trol" valve at the front of the pump? The manual says that this will increase the flow from the pump, sounds like that should help? But it doesn't give much guidance on this.I'm wanting to start plowing, looking for a "quick fix" workaround, so I can tear it down later, when I have more time after the field working season is past. Don't want to tear it down now if I can't fix it quickly.

[Hugh, did you get a good answer for the NAA Hydraulic issue?
I had a similar lift issue-bought a DVD and hydraulic parts kit from Yesterdays tractor--fixed the hydraulics under the seat.
But I apparently over loaded the 3 point with too much gravel in my back bucket--appears there is an overload value somewhere.
Thought I would ask you for any thoughts prior to a new posting.
thanks Philv email [email protected]="Hugh1950"](reply to post at 09:30:39 09/08/20) [/quote]

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back