Ford Transmission Numbers

Trying to figure out what the transmission numbers mean on the left side. I got two 8 speeds from 4000 series 3 cylinder models. One is from a 4600 with 5J01B over G7018 and the other is from an Industrial unit with 8C16B over 70A14, I think. The numbers on the starter side don't tell me anything as far as specific model of tractor. Do the ones on the left tell what the model of tractor these transmissions came from. The 4600 one is complete but the other is one I gutted several years ago as a doner unit. I did not get the whole tractor in that deal just the transmission and rear axle and trying to remember the model it came from.

The numbers on the left side are the assembly date of the transmission and a trans build code that tells the engineers something about how the transmission is configured inside, but that information was never published as far as I am aware.

On the first one, with 5J01B over G7018, the 5J01B is the date code for the assembly of the transmission, which is September 1 of some year ending in a 5. If it is from a 4600, then it would be 1975, as the 4600 was only made from 1975-1981, and 1975 is the only year in that range that ends in a 5.

On the second one with 8C16B over 70A14, 8C16B is the date code, and that one says the transmission was assembled on March 16 of some year ending in a 8, but since we don't know the exact model, it could be 1968, 1978 or 1988.

The numbers on the right side should tell us the model number of the tractor, the serial number, and the date of assembly of the tractor itself. Please post those back here and we can help you decipher them. There should be 3 sets of numbers on the right side. If you're only finding 2 on the flat spot, look farther up on the rough part of the casting for the third.

(reply to post at 17:33:47 09/10/23)
hanks for the info. The 4600 transmission numbers are D1074c - 5J22B - C479715 and the unknown model is 44014C - 8E22B - C205939. The last one is the industrial one I bought in kit form maybe 10 years ago and used the gears in another 4XXX series with the SU configuration that needed the radius rod mounts of which this case does not. Thank again

The first one is not from a 4600, it is from the slightly earlier 4000.

D1074C - This is the model number. The D10 at the beginning says that it is a 4000. If it was a 4600 it would start with DA1 or DA2. I am not sure about the 7, as that engine code wasn't used until later models as far as I can find in my references, but it is for a diesel engine. The 4 says that it has independent 540 rpm PTO, and the C at the end says that it has an 8 speed transmission.

5J22B - This is the date code for September 22 1965 or 1975

C479715 - This is the serial number. The C at the beginning says that it was assembled at the US assembly plant. This is a late 1975 serial number, possibly early 1976 depending on what internet sources you might believe, but since the date code above says that it was assembled in a year that ends in a 5, I would go with 1975.

The second one is from a 4400.

44014C - This is the model number. The 440 at the beginning says that it as a 4400 Utility model (not an industrial but many folks call them that) The 1 says that it has a diesel engine. The 4 says that it has independent 540 rpm PTO and the C at the end says that it has an 8 speed transmission. Since the model number starts with a 4 instead of a D, it is considered an "Early model", meaning that it would have had the earlier style of grill and sheet metal even though it was made a few months after they began production of the "New models", as they continued making the Early models alongside the New models for several months.

8E22B - This is the date code that says the tractor was assembled on May 22 1968 during the day shift.

C205939 - This is the serial number. The C at the beginning says that it was assembled at the US assembly plant. It is a serial number for a tractor made at the US assembly plant in 1968 and agrees with the date code above.

Since all that you have are the transmissions, it is possible that the first one had been transplanted to a 4600 at some point and that is why you were told it was from a 4600 when you bought it, but it was originally in a 4000. It is also possible that the second one was transplanted to a true industrial model like a 3550 or 4500 at some point, but it was originally in a 4400 Utility model when it left the factory.

Thanks Sean, your on the money. The first transmission is from a 4000 and I was told that when I bought the back half. I thought being a 1975 made it a 4600 but it apparently is a last year 4000. And the second one is from a 4400 and your right about the sheet metal because I still have it and it has the louvers and the two piece tin radiator shroud and I think the hoods say Utility or something like that. I do have a 1975 3550 backhoe I bought in 1980 and it has the heavy boiler plate radiator shroud which has the beam front axle which I understood to be an industrial model. It still looks like new but I hardly ever take it out of the barn. Got a 445A, 445D and 545C all with real heavy loaders and shuttle shifts. Just handier that a backhoe. Thanks again for straightening me out on the numbers.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back