Fordson Dexta Gas/Petrol

Brian-S

I've been offered a good running 1960s Dexta with the Standard gas motor. Anyone have any thoughts on these? I'm in Canada if that's relevant.

cvphoto164205.jpg

Can't go wrong. Same engine as Ferguson TEA20, except starter on opposite side.
Lots of parts available. Engines were also used in Triumph sports cars.
Not many made, but sold in Canada for easier starting than a diesel. Runs very quietly.
Worst thing is getting your feet across the transmission.

Only 4000 made and they went to cold countries, plus Australia and New Zealand where petrol is fairly cheap. I have one that was repatriated back to England from New Zealand. I love mine !!!! Starts well, very good on fuel. I use mine for ploughing and inter row weed cultivation. Engine is a Standard Motor Company Industrial which has some parts in common with the little grey Fergy, but other bits like the starter, flywheel and starter ring gear are not. Most of the other bits are a direct replacement. You might find the engine is more common over there as it was also fitted in Massey Harris balers.

cvphoto164219.jpg

Would you please post the serial number and engine number plus any casting codes you can find. I keep a record of all the petrol's I can find throughout the world, yours may already be on my list. Just country and numbers, you can e-mail me at bheatbtconnect.com (change the at), and I will send you a PDF of the parts book for the petrol engine.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back