fork lift question

37chief

I have an old Hyster fork lift. Maybe around the 60's. It comes real handy. I think the hydraulic fluid is getting low. Will tractor hydraulic fluid work? Also Where would a person check the transmission, and oil type? Thanks Stan

In those days, hydraulic oil spec was not so important. I use John Deere spec oil in my old Hyster QN20.

I have an old Hyster fork lift. Maybe around the 60's. It comes real handy. I think the hydraulic fluid is getting low. Will tractor hydraulic fluid work? Also Where would a person check the transmission, and oil type? Thanks Stan
Yes, a UTHF will work in the hydraulics. They did not require a "special" oil.

You need to identify it a bit better to get answers on the transmission. There were a number of Hysters around the 60's using different drive trains.

Most likely, but be sure. Where I worked the few hysters we had, had some odd requirements. The Cats did too. There should be a trans dipstick under the floor plates.

Stan,
I'm cheap and tried using universal hydraulic fluid in my Jubilee. It worked until winter, then I had to get what the dealer recommended CNH134.
My terramite has warning stickers all over, DO NOT USE HYD FLUID.
Use 10w40 oil.
I really don't know what to tell you.

For cripes sake, is there a model/ID plate on it anywhere? At least post a picture of it.
All I could find was a plate painted over several times. All the writing was gone. A 3 D 7016 J, was stamped on the plate. I have no idea what this means, maybe the model number? I would like to find a manual if I knew where to look. Stan

All I could find was a plate painted over several times. All the writing was gone. A 3 D 7016 J, was stamped on the plate. I have no idea what this means, maybe the model number? I would like to find a manual if I knew where to look. Stan
Just taking a shot in the dark, using the “70” number; in the link is a S70B does it look anything like that? Example Hyster S70B
Pneumatic or hard tires?

Not knowing which model it is makes it a little hard. Is there a screw on vent cap on top of trans? If there is, it may be part of that. Old hysters used either atf or universal tractor fluid. Even new lifts use j20c John Deere fluid.

Not knowing which model it is makes it a little hard. Is there a screw on vent cap on top of trans? If there is, it may be part of that. Old hysters used either atf or universal tractor fluid. Even new lifts use j20c John Deere fluid.
By the way, if it’s a power shift, it may run 80-90 filled through the differential. This if it has a clutch and manual transmission.

I know nothing, but spent a few minutes doing searches.

This company seems to have some knowledge about older Hyster's. You might give them a call and see if they can point you in the right direction

This is your serial number. A3d is series, 7016 is number built, j is the year.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back