freetunes project

souNdguy

As I revealed in my rops project post, I've been assembling parts and goodies to mount a radio on this tractor. I love having tunes to mow with, and wear big huge ear muff style head phones to block out all the noise when doing so.

I already had a basic radio/cassette player ( manual dial.. no fancy digital tuner ) that I had scavanged from a fender mount tractor radio long ago. radio works, old mount box was rusty and crushed. just had it wrapped in plastic on the shelf for a while.

have a few various anteni choices with different mount styles laying around the shop.

still have a few pieces of scrap metal to fab a mount from the backhoe project steel my stepdad bought.

scavenged some 4" speakers from an old boom box found leaning on the curb at the dump.

and now, the last piece just fell into my lap. scavanged a 25mm plastic ammo can, again, saved from the dump. heavy plastic body, dimensions are 14.5 x 5.5 x 13.75.

2 opposed ends have a latch and swing open hinged door with weather tight oring.

I imcluded a pic of the style of box I found on the internet. originally held 30 projectiles or something like that.

it's a perfect size to mount the radio in and the 2 4" speakers, to be self contained.

here;s my plan. mount speakers inside with machine screws, same with radio. I have plenty of 1/4" wafer board from other projects to use as the mounting plate for the radio.

I have a cig lighter adapter, as well as gator clip adapters , and ring terminal power adapter on quick change molex plugs, that went to an old 12v winch I had, so this radio pack I'm building can have permanent attached power run up to the rops via the ring terminals, then that terminates into the molex plug so I can disconnect and remove the radiobox, could then plug in a cig lighter adapter or gator clips to run off a battery.

I'll leave an antenna on the tractor and have a small rubber one I'll leave a jack for on the box. thus this radio pack can be removed fromt he tractor and carried over to a worksite to provide tunes for me to work from.. will run off a 12v battery or boost pack with power outlet. for the heck of it I will probably wire in a 12v wall-wart xformer.. i have a drawer full of them .. that way I can plug in to ac power for this.

it will thus be self contained witht he 4" speakers, small 8" rubber antenna plugged in, and the external power plug in from various sources. could probably get froggy and wire in the old 12v bat pack I have leftover from a bat powereed sawsall I also rescued from the dump and scavenged for parts for my real sawsall. that bat pack would likely give me half hour of music :) and be really self contained.

mount bracket is 2 ears with side slots on the underside of the canopy, up against the right side mounting bracket for the rops.. I'll mount studs to either side of the box and use wingnuts to make it quick remove capable.

now that I got all the stuff.. will fab it up friday.
my box of electronics gizmo's already has a stereo headphone / speaker cutout style jack, so I'll mount that to so I can kill the external music and use headphones..

soundguy
9105.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back