Fuel smell?

showcrop

Well-known Member
I needed to push wrist pins out of pistons, so after cleaning them in fuel I needed to heat them. I don't keep an oven in my shop so I went to the house and got the toaster oven from the kitchen. I heated them up two at a time and got the pins out and got the rods installed, maybe a few drops of oil dripped into the oven, but I did shake all of the crumbs out for my wife. Wasn't that nice of me? Well next time she used it she complained about fuel smell and got all bent out of shape at me. So what's wrong with fuel smell?
 
There is nothing wrong with the smell of fuel.... on an engine or in a garage. It's when your Hot Pockets smell like fuel that it gets to be an issue
 
I reckon you're a newly-wed? What's wrong is letting her know what you did.........Kinda reminds me of a fellow I used to know who got caught in bed with a shapely young neighbor. His response to his wife's accusations; "You gonna believe me or your lying eyes?"
 
get some spray oven cleaner... use the entire bottle on that little devil.. it will smell ok afterwards.

that.. or make it your shop oven now! and get her a new one.

soundguy
 
Next time you might put down a sheet on tin foil, as a liner. It will catch any dripping oil. Oven cleaner is a good thought though. I'll have to try that next time...
 
Does your wife take your tools from the shop without asking and use them for things they were not intended for? If James had told me what he needed, I would have lined the toaster oven with foil, discarded the foil when he was done, and turned the oven on to burn off any residue. Engine problem solved, peace in the house, no fuelish smelling/tasting food. I really wouldn"t have fussed at him for using the little oven, just for not telling me so I could clean it up before using.
 
I still haven't lived down using the dishwasher to clean up a set of diesel pistons.
The grey film on the dishwashers white internal plastic took weeks to wear off.
 
I'd probably get bent out of shape too. Never cared for diesel in the house.... or on my dinner.
Couldn't you press them out cold?
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top