John Schmincke
Member
Regarding a 47 2N side mount 6 volt totally stock w/sherman up & down ( thanks Bruce )
I asked about 2 months ago regarding sediment bowls. You guys gave a lot of advice & pics even, really a great group here and I thank you. Turns out, the original tank was crudded inside, gas came out looking like orange juice. A new tank, new fuel line, new filters and 2 new sediment bowls later, still wont start. Got air, spark I can even see mid day with sunglasses on. Open the carb bowl drain, 3-4 drops of gas come out. Discovered "I" misthreaded the fuel line into the sediment bowl. It was sucking air/restricting flow to the carb...and leaking down the side of the engine. Reason? that %#*! pipe holding the plug wires is in the way. If you read this far, I thank you but just wanted to give you the whole picture.
Now the question is, 2 center head bolts hold that pipe in place. I want to remove the 2 bolts and discard the pipe so the stock fuel line has no interference. Would removing the 2 bolts disturb the head gasket? I really dont want to pull the head for this.
The plan is when the new bowl, plug wires, fuel line arrive, I want to remove the bolts, remove the pipe and replace the bolts within minutes if they come off easily enough. I"ve been soaking them off & on for a year now. Whats you opinion?
And does anyone know what the torque would be?
Plan B would be to just cut the 2 brackets and not disturb the bolts but Id like to do something cleaner that that.
Thanks in advance, and have a safe holiday!!
John
I asked about 2 months ago regarding sediment bowls. You guys gave a lot of advice & pics even, really a great group here and I thank you. Turns out, the original tank was crudded inside, gas came out looking like orange juice. A new tank, new fuel line, new filters and 2 new sediment bowls later, still wont start. Got air, spark I can even see mid day with sunglasses on. Open the carb bowl drain, 3-4 drops of gas come out. Discovered "I" misthreaded the fuel line into the sediment bowl. It was sucking air/restricting flow to the carb...and leaking down the side of the engine. Reason? that %#*! pipe holding the plug wires is in the way. If you read this far, I thank you but just wanted to give you the whole picture.
Now the question is, 2 center head bolts hold that pipe in place. I want to remove the 2 bolts and discard the pipe so the stock fuel line has no interference. Would removing the 2 bolts disturb the head gasket? I really dont want to pull the head for this.
The plan is when the new bowl, plug wires, fuel line arrive, I want to remove the bolts, remove the pipe and replace the bolts within minutes if they come off easily enough. I"ve been soaking them off & on for a year now. Whats you opinion?
And does anyone know what the torque would be?
Plan B would be to just cut the 2 brackets and not disturb the bolts but Id like to do something cleaner that that.
Thanks in advance, and have a safe holiday!!
John