Fuse problem

JamesJTX

This is tractor related due to this my main pickup I use to haul my tractors to jobs. I have a 2020 Chevy 2500, went to go to a job and hooked up my trailer and had no lights at all on it. I use a 7 way plug that has a led in it to know you have power. The light did not light up, I got anew plug to verify and no light. Got manual out and could not find any fuse listed for it and why does GM list fuses with just a couple letters and do not know what it goes to. So if anyone knows what fuse powers the 7 way plug on this truck it will be greatly appreciated. Since I was also going to put a new floor in the trailer I pulled the floor out and traced wiring and could not find any damaged wiring that might make the fuse blow. Thanks James

Don't know about the fuse location. IT could even be a strand of wire in the plugs touching the ground causing your problem or to small of a fuse by amperage. Increased load requires a larger fuse to carry it. Lots of places it could be. Might even be in a brake coil or the controler for the brakes or a bad wire in the truck, or maybe a missing chip.

(quoted from post at 08:00:28 09/07/22) This is tractor related due to this my main pickup I use to haul my tractors to jobs. I have a 2020 Chevy 2500, went to go to a job and hooked up my trailer and had no lights at all on it. I use a 7 way plug that has a led in it to know you have power. The light did not light up, I got anew plug to verify and no light. Got manual out and could not find any fuse listed for it and why does GM list fuses with just a couple letters and do not know what it goes to. So if anyone knows what fuse powers the 7 way plug on this truck it will be greatly appreciated. Since I was also going to put a new floor in the trailer I pulled the floor out and traced wiring and could not find any damaged wiring that might make the fuse blow. Thanks James

I believe your truck has multiple fuse panels. I think you may find the one under the hood has a fuse and/or relay for every one of the 7 trailer circuits. The index for the fuse panels is normally on the underside of each cover. Your owner's manual should also have the location of each panel and the index of the fuses/relays in each.

This post was edited by Jim.ME on 09/07/2022 at 05:31 am.

First, you may have a blown fuse, but you do not have a fuse problem! If you have a blown fuse, it blew for a reason. That reason may be bad insulation on a wire in your truck or trailer, a broken wire, a bad relay, of a host of other issues. It may also be intermittent, so you replace the fuse, it is fine for a few months then blows again. So when you find the fuse, get a few spares and remember, that fuse blew for a reason.

The trailer fuses are in the fuse block under the hood, left side over the wheel well.

You say you got a new plug, are you saying the plug on the end of the trailer connection, or the receptacle in the truck bumper?

A common problem with trailer connections, if there is nothing wrong with the trailer, pull the receptacle out of the bumper, look on the back side. Common for it to fill with water and corrode the wires. You can buy a sealed receptacle, the wires are epoxied in and you connect the pigtails instead of connecting inside the receptacle.

Here's a map to the fuse locations.
Fuse Locations

I ran into the problem Jim.Me is suggesting on a truck (this one was a ford) one time. Truck for some reason had 2 fuse panels. One under the hood, one under the dash. For some STUPID reason, all the light fuses for the truck was in one fuse panel, and all the fuses for trailer plug in lights were in the other fuse panel. I never thought it would have separate fuses for trailer, and I knew the fuses for the truck itself were all good, and I wasted a BUNCH of time thinking I had a bad ground, bad bulbs, bad plug, bad wiring, and everything else.
Finally got to reading in the book. That's how I stumbled onto the separate fuse panel, and completely separate fuses for trailer lights. Sure enough, blown fuses there was all of my problems.
I was so MAD!!

Only reason I can think for separate fuses, is safety. If you lose them on the trailer, you don't lose them entirely on the vehicle. But you'd think it'd be spelled out a little better than in fine print 2/3rds of the way through the owners manuel. They could of idiot proofed it a little better than that, LOL. Like printed it on one fuse lid that trailer fuses in separate panel, or something. GESH. It cost me most of a day, when I found one set of light fuses were all good, and didn't know there was a whole second set of em in a separate box.

Should be a fuse in box by battery like in the picture. Second, there is a relay by the spare tire that can go bad and blow the fuse. I had to replace my relay but the fuse was still good. There are YouTube videos to show how to replace the relay.
cvphoto135127.jpg

Relay video

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back